Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1095 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burban View Post
    Heard good things about the first two. How did you like them?
    10% Happier really helped my personal Mindfulness if that is something you practice. It was also a fun read so it went by quickly. Talking to Strangers was pretty good but would suggest the audiobook if you listen to podcasts. MG gave a taste of it on his podcast and it is engaging vs. the usual audiobook.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Just finished Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland by Patrick Radden Keefe. Its mostly a history of the Troubles between the republicans and loyalists/unionists in Northern Ireland, with more specifics about a particular murder case of an Irish woman thought to be informing to the British about IRA movements.

GREAT book. Couldn't recommend it more highly, especially if you have an interest in the region. I listened to the audio book, which had an Irish narrator, so that made it even more enjoyable.

https://www.amazon.com/Say-Nothing-M...s%2C190&sr=1-1

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1516 Post(s)
    @burban I have this book on hold at the library. Definitely looking forward to giving it a read.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1095 Post(s)
    Finished 'Mistakes Were Made But Not By Me'. I could sum the book up with the phrase "Cognitive Dissonance." Find some random blog post on that and you would be good.

I have 20 pages left of Bad Blood by John Carryrou. Quick read and makes me want to read Super Pumped about Uber but have a few others I want to read first.

I can't believe I have read almost 3 books so far this year. Less time scrolling through my phone and more time with books I guess.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Finishing the final pages of John Updike's 4.5-book Rabbit series, which I figured I should read. Some parts of it are a little much.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1516 Post(s)
    I have been reading Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland by Patrick Radden Keefe. I agree with @burban. Great book. I am really getting in to it. What I really enjoy about the book is I recognize many of the names from when I was a kid. In reading the book I am getting a much clearer picture of the history of the violence in Northern Ireland. I highly recommend this book.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    I finally finished Edmund Morris' Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. It was a very good read and I'm looking forward to the next two volumes in the trilogy.

Currently rereading The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - one of my all time favorite books. The man created and wrote a mythology and created multiple cultures and languages and histories... one man did what usually takes hundreds or thousands of people over man generations to create.

Also reading Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics by Dan Harris

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1095 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Charles View Post
    I finally finished Edmund Morris' Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. It was a very good read and I'm looking forward to the next two volumes in the trilogy.

Currently rereading The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - one of my all time favorite books. The man created and wrote a mythology and created multiple cultures and languages and histories... one man did what usually takes hundreds or thousands of people over man generations to create.

Also reading Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics by Dan Harris
    Adding that Dan Harris book to my roster...his book helped my meditation practice quite a bit though I prefer the Sam Harris app...maybe because I committed almost a year to it before learning about the Dan Harris app.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Adding that Dan Harris book to my roster...his book helped my meditation practice quite a bit though I prefer the Sam Harris app...maybe because I committed almost a year to it before learning about the Dan Harris app.
    Funny you should mention Sam Harris' app. I signed up for it when it was released on Android a year or so ago for the intro pricing. I used it for like a week and fell off of that wagon. I just started using it again and reading Dan's book. They seem to compliment each other pretty well. Like you, I'm hesitant to try Dan's app because I'm already invested in Sam's Waking Up app.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1516 Post(s)
    @Mr. Charles and @JBarwick without derailing the thread too much how do you like using an app for meditation? The two seem kind of counter-intuitive for me. Thx.