Page 49 of 60 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    The Iliad by Homer - Fagles translation

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Charles View Post
    The Iliad by Homer - Fagles translation
    I love that translation. I struggled through Pope's when I was younger and it was like a revelation when I read Fagles.

I'm currently reading Lila, An Inquiry Into Morals, by Robert Pirsig. No other book except the Bible has impacted my life as profoundly as his more well known book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    About halfway through the first volume of The Last Lion, the best-known biography of Churchill. This volume covers his birth (1874) through 1932. Great read about Churchill’s upbringing, struggles in school, military career, and start in politics. I’m just getting to the buildup to WWI and its fascinating, once you get past the 60 page prologue about the Victorian era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm currently finishing Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene M. Schwartz

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Been a while since I've cracked a book...damn you Podcasts!!!

But I've started reading Stone Bruises by Simon Beckett. I thought this book would be another in his fine David Hunter series of books, but this one appears to be a stand-alone. So far, so good.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    Just finishing up Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    Just finishing up Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
    Finished it last week. Really enjoyed it and am not happy to wait 3 years for the next one

Also kind of miffed that the next book will focus more on (to me atleast) the least interesting character, Eshonai. After the way things left off I want to see more of Adolin and Renarin.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull View Post
    Finished it last week. Really enjoyed it and am not happy to wait 3 years for the next one

Also kind of miffed that the next book will focus more on (to me atleast) the least interesting character, Eshonai. After the way things left off I want to see more of Adolin and Renarin.
    It's a planned 10 book series with 3 years between each book. I hope I actually live to see the end of it, I AM 54 years old you know. I've already gone through this with Robert Jordan with Wheel of Time (died with 3 books to go, series finished by Brandon Sanderson) and GRRM with Game of Thrones (who I think WANTS to die before he finishes the series in order to piss everyone off).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    It's a planned 10 book series with 3 years between each book. I hope I actually live to see the end of it, I AM 54 years old you know. I've already gone through this with Robert Jordan with Wheel of Time (died with 3 books to go, series finished by Brandon Sanderson) and GRRM with Game of Thrones (who I think WANTS to die before he finishes the series in order to piss everyone off).
    I’m so afraid this series is going to go the way of GoT and GRRM. There’s a big movie/tv deal going on for it right now and it would really suck for the books to fall behind.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    We are all in This Together by Amy Jones.

I didn't think I'd like this book, but a) it is set in Canada, b) it is set in a location in Canada I'm familiar with and c) the characters are starting to pull me in. 125 pages in and I can't put the book down.