Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1684 Post(s)
    I'm on a WWI kick recently. A couple weeks ago I read Paris 1919; this past week I read Eleventh Month, Eleventh Day, Eleventh Hour.
    Ben

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quoted
    993 Post(s)
    After listening to a podcast about the author I have just started The Sudden Appearance of Hope. Only a few pages in so I can't pass any judgement yet. But the premise of a woman who people slowly start to ignore/can't see I thought was an interesting one. After all, haven't we all been in situations where someone goes "oh hey. Sorry. I didn't see you there."

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    252 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Transient View Post
    Fun book: Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind. The quality of his writing is striking, and I find myself going through it slowly just to savor the experience.

Growth book: Dale Carnegie's classic - How to Win Friends and Influence People. I'm going through this on audiobook. I appreciate the simplicity of the principles and the examples. It's also a reminder of the shortness of life, as many "famous" individuals of the time are largely forgotten today.

Name of the Wind is great, the second one is good also. I'm afraid the third one may never see the light of day as he seems to have gone the George R.R. Martin route and forgotten about it entirely while doing other things. he did a side-story book and I read it but he's not getting another dime from me until he finishes the series, same for Martin.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    Name of the Wind is great, the second one is good also. I'm afraid the third one may never see the light of day as he seems to have gone the George R.R. Martin route and forgotten about it entirely while doing other things. he did a side-story book and I read it but he's not getting another dime from me until he finishes the series, same for Martin.
    This is such a bananas way to think about writing a book. Yes, we all want to read the next book. No, we can't read it until he finishes. No, there is nothing you can do to speed up the process. It will be done when it is done. Rothfuss is not your performing monkey. Spend your money how you want, but don't take it personally if an author takes time to write something good.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    403 Post(s)
    I'm probably an idiot, but I will be starting The Wheel of Time series again today. I want to reread it in its entirety and see how it is the second time through. I am starting The Eye Of The World this evening.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm probably an idiot, but I will be starting The Wheel of Time series again today. I want to reread it in its entirety and see how it is the second time through. I am starting The Eye Of The World this evening.

So great to see another Wheel of Time and Jordan fan. I read the series through high school and early college. Been getting the itch to reread, but it’s quite the serious undertaking.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    297 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Great series! Wheel of Time is how I discovered Brandon Sanderson which then lead me to The Stormlight Archives (and all of his other works) which has become one of my favorites.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    252 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    This is such a bananas way to think about writing a book. Yes, we all want to read the next book. No, we can't read it until he finishes. No, there is nothing you can do to speed up the process. It will be done when it is done. Rothfuss is not your performing monkey. Spend your money how you want, but don't take it personally if an author takes time to write something good.
    I'm not asking him to perform, I'm just not supporting someone financially who starts a series then gets distracted off to other projects never to return to the series. George R.R. Martin has deliberately killed characters in the series because fans liked them, I'm not taking it personally and don't feel entitled to anything from an author. Conversely, he needs to expect less financial gain if he pisses off the people who buy his books.