Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Aeschylus II - The Oresteia

and

The Handmaids Tale - Margaret Atwood

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    The Killing Floor - Lee Child

I Can't put down a Jack Reacher story!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1052 Post(s)
    Really enjoying The Revenge of Analog. In reading the book it's interesting to see/ read how we are coming full circle with certain items. What's old is new again. My only complaint about the book? The author says "Revenge of Analog" far far too often in the book itself.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    421 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I'm reading Ron Chernow's biography of Ulysses S. Grant (actual birth name of Hiram Ulysses Grant - he always went by Ulysses but the S. middle initial he's known by was the result of a bureaucratic snafu with his West Point application). It's pretty fascinating although he has a tendency to over-belabor Grant's occasional drinking binges.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Fun book: Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind. The quality of his writing is striking, and I find myself going through it slowly just to savor the experience.

Growth book: Dale Carnegie's classic - How to Win Friends and Influence People. I'm going through this on audiobook. I appreciate the simplicity of the principles and the examples. It's also a reminder of the shortness of life, as many "famous" individuals of the time are largely forgotten today.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Just finished the new book on Tiger Woods, creatively titled “Tiger Woods.” It’s written by two investigative reporters and authors, Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian. I’m a casual golf fan, but the amount of information they got was astounding, given that Tiger did not talk to them and many people who are or were in Tiger’s orbit signed NDAs and couldn’t talk either. It’s a great look at him from childhood on (including brief backgrounds on how his parents came together) and how messed up his childhood was, which both made him an incredible competitor and screwed up person.

Highly recommended.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Manthropology: The Science of Why the Modern Male is Not the Man He Used to Be - Peter McAllister

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1052 Post(s)

Thought this book was going to be better than it was. I bailed after 50 pages or so. Just couldn't hold my interest.

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    910 Post(s)
    Just finished Comey's A Higher Loyalty. Was a decent read if you're interested in his frame of mind regarding the various events that brought him into the limelight, as well as his career prior to that. Not that I expected it given how he's been in tv interviews, congressional hearings, etc., it does not really go into any scandalous details that aren't already publicly known from the media reports.

Moving onto something fiction after a few back to back political NF, but not too far---starting Hellfire Club by Jake Tapper next.