Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    I also just finished Say Nothing and thought it was mostly well done ("mostly" because the author's tone in covering the Price sisters seemed a little off at times). I wasn't expecting quite as much background/historical info but I thought those sections ended up being a pretty solid overview of the history of the Troubles, and I guess there's only so many pages you can dedicate to the McConnville case itself when there wasn't much of an investigation to begin with. Sad stuff but a worthwhile read.

In much lighter (but still a little melancholic) Ireland-related reading, I also read A Pint of Plain: Tradition, Change, and the Fate of the Irish Pub by Bill Barich. The history and culture parts dealing with post-Celtic Tiger Ireland and how that's impacting pub culture are really interesting, Barich's personal travelogue parts are more hit & miss, but recommended overall.
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    @Mr. Charles and @JBarwick without derailing the thread too much how do you like using an app for meditation? The two seem kind of counter-intuitive for me. Thx.
    Since I'm a total noob at it I find the app helpful. The guidance prompts me to notice when my mind is wandering which allows me to notice sooner than I do without the prompting. As I get better at it maybe it won't be as helpful, but for now I like it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    @Mr. Charles and @JBarwick without derailing the thread too much how do you like using an app for meditation? The two seem kind of counter-intuitive for me. Thx.
    I like using an app for the guiding portion. There are timers if you do not want to have someone directing you.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)
    Agency by William Gibson. Pre ordered the book because I really like the author and surprisingly got a signed copy! Nice little surprise when I cracked it open. The book is really good so far.
    https://www.amazon.com/Agency-Willia.../dp/110198693X

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Finished 10% happier, audio version. I don't think i would have made it through the text but great to listen too. On some lighter Harry Potter fair now. I really want to finish this series.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Reading the last chapter tonight of Stop Doing That Sh*t by Gary John Bishop. It's not as good as Unf*ck Yourself, but was a good follow up.

About to start The Last Gunfight. Hope it's good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    "Please Kill Me"
    An oral history of Punk...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)
    I got about half way through Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel before the pandemic really started picking up steam in the US and I decided I would finish reading it later. Not a spoiler, a portion of the book takes place in a post pandemic apocalyptic setting and a portion of the book is set as the pandemic starts. Too real Emily, too real.

So instead I started Redshirts by John Scalzi, fun light sci fi.

If you have an eReader (kindle or phone or whatever) and like sci fi, you should sign up for Tor's free ebooks. It's free books. Like, they just give them to you.

I pre-ordered the new Murderbot book by Martha Wells from my local book store to help support them while shit is in lock down. If you haven't read the Murderbot novellas, then get on that. They rock. Murderbot rocks.

Been seeing some bad stuff about the Internet Archive. The Internet Archive is not a library. It does not pay authors/publishers for the books it hosts. Real libraries pay for their books. Please do not use the Internet Archive to get books because you are preventing authors and publishers from being paid for their work.