Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@tomservo

Reading Tocqueville by choice - not sure it's for pleasure, but it's interesting. I've had a bit of a Colonial / Revolutionary / early USA History thing happening since I was fortunate enough to spend five weeks in the USA a couple of years ago.I was, as some of you say, "travelling on someone else's nickel", and whilst I did what I was there to do, I had a fabulous time exploring DC, Northern Virginia and Manhattan, as well as quick visits in Chicago and San Fran. What an amazing region between DC / Richmond / Charlottesville - all the Revolutionary and Civil War history and sites, as well as Mt Vernon, Moticello and UVa, and then the glories of DC itself!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

I'm currently halfway through "Shut Your Eyes Tight" by John Verndon. His first book "Think of a Number" was quite good and I am definitely enjoying this one as well. I'm a big fan of private eye/detective style reads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Name of the Wind / The Wise Man's Fear (first two books of a trilogy) by Patrick Rothfuss. I can't recommend these enough. A hero's journey told from the hero's perspective. Set in a completely believable fantasy world.

Read "The Billionaire's Vinegar" by Benjamin Wallace. It's about the high stakes forgery in the wine collecting world. A 1787 Chateau Lafite Bordeaux that was supposedly owned by Thomas Jefferson sold for $156,000. It's an amazing story that could easily be a movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just finished Old Man and the Sea. I somehow avoided reading it in high school. Savored every word of it. Short little novella with a lot to say about aging, nature, adventure and being a guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Change by Design"

I must recommend any book by Richard P Feynmann...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

@Chris, I'm now in the middle of old man and the sea. Very quick and compelling read. This is the first of Hemingway that I've read and I'm intrigued to read more.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello all, this is my first post so I guess it's an introduction... Well, I have nothing to say except I'm currently reading "V." by Thomas Pynchon, and it is absolutely kicking my ass. :P

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

I just started Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. She is one contemporary writer that is worth checking out. She won the Pulitzer for her first book, a collection of short stories, called the Interpreter of Maladies. There is a melancholy feel to her prose, like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but very well-written and complex characters.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Greg I'll have to check out Lahiri, sounds like my kind of bag.

Hemingway is fantastic. Such an interesting guy and a tragic figure. Once you get through a few of his novels (they are quick reads) check out his memoir "A Movable Feast"

Dress for style, live for results.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Thought I'd pick this thread up since I've recently returned to the library after a long break from book reading. My reading over the winter has been magazines, mainly the New Yorker, but the recent Fleming episodes got me interested in the Bond novels again. Yesterday I picked up The Man with the Golden Gun and Moonraker, two of the Fleming books I haven't read yet. But I'm probably more excited about the new Bond book Carte Blanche by James Deaver. Will be interesting to see how this book treats a modern day Bond.