Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

@Big_Scooter, if you liked the importance of being earnest, I'd recommend more Wilde. The Picture of Dorian Gray and some of his other plays (Lady Wyndymere's Fan) are excellent.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)

The last book I read was "How to Archer: The Ultimate Guide to Espionage and Style and Women and Also Cocktails Ever Written." It was an absurdly easy read (definitely something to put next to the john), but it was highly enjoyable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Rob, are you reading Tocqueville for pleasure? Good on ya!

I'm currently working on mr g by Alan Lightman and finishing up Then we came to the end by Joshua Ferris

I'd also recommend Everything Matters by Ron Currie Jr.

Dress for style, live for results.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

@Rob, good call on The Great Gatsby. It has reigned as my favorite book for quite some time, now.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)

Gatsby was such a great book.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

I'm currently reading "The Limit: Life and Death on the 1961 Grand Prix Circuit" by Michael Cannell. I'm a huge fan of books on racing in the 40s, 50s, 60s - it was a time when race car drivers on the European circuits were real mens men and death was very likely. They lived a playboy lifestyle traveling the world, dressing well, and carousing with beautiful women in their off time and for work trained and participated in what was truly a grueling sport with no safety regulations (they didn't even wear seat belts back then).

The main character of this book is Phil Hill, an american mechanic from alcoholic parents who rose to become one of the best supercar and grand prix drivers of his time. Also featured is his rival, Count Wolfgang Von Trips, a descendent of German nobility with Robert Redford-good looks. Numerous other races and drivers are profiled along with plenty of carnage. You don't need an interest in modern racing at all to enjoy the book, and its a very easy read. I'm also a huge fan of the book 'Go like Hell' which focuses on the Ford and Ferrari rivalry of the 1960s, what I think would truly make for a riveting film.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

I've seen 3-4 people reading the Great Gatsby on the trains in the past 1-2 weeks. Must be the upcoming movie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Killing Pablo" has been sitting on my nightstand for a few weeks now. It's an awesome story, but it's a really dense read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Do yourself a favor and pick up "His Majesty's Dragon" by Naomi Novik. The Temeraire saga is astounding. It's period-correct Napoleonic alternative history fiction with every detail exact. Except it has dragons. Imagine a beast the size of a city block with 10-15 men hanging on it like it's a frigate, flying through the air and waging war between England and France. I just can't recommend this enough.

I'm reading Sherlock Holmes again (wife rereads Dune, I reread Sherlock). Things are busy at work, and sitting down with it and a bottle of Great Lakes really helps to unwind. Just started The Red Headed League, and it's hard not to smirk at times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been trying to de-rust some of my foreign language skills, so I've been reading stupid children's books in Spanish.

Aside from that, I last finished Calvin Trillin's Third Helpings; I highly recommend this book (part of the Tummy Trilogy series) for anybody who is into food writing.