Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Great series of books, but I jammed out around book five or six. I just couldn't take it anymore. Seemed like the never ending series. But while I was reading it, I found the series to be thoroughly enjoyable.
    I'm thinking of reading the first two I have and then switch to something completely different, and then go back for a book or two until I finish the series. I dont want to get fatigued by them either.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)
    Yeah, that might have been my problem. I jumped in and started reading them and tried to plow my way through. Trouble is I was getting burned out and started hating the characters after a while and just wanted Jordan to end it. Having said that, I'm sure you'll enjoy the books. They are well written with loads of detail.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    I'm currently reading "Telegraph Avenue" by Michael Chabon. I like what I've read before by him a lot. This one is slow going so far and his tendency to overdescribe and his profligate use of metaphors is a little annoying. I'm only about 100 pages in though, and I've been assured that once the narrative threads gather together into a coherent whole it becomes worth the early slogging. We'll see.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    I'm currently reading "Telegraph Avenue" by Michael Chabon. I like what I've read before by him a lot. This one is slow going so far and his tendency to overdescribe and his profligate use of metaphors is a little annoying. I'm only about 100 pages in though, and I've been assured that once the narrative threads gather together into a coherent whole it becomes worth the early slogging. We'll see.
    Stay with it, it's a good read. Yes, he is prone to a bit of literary theatrics.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Currently Reading "The Circle" by Dave Eggers. It chronicles the journey of a 24-year old woman named Mae who starts at "The Circle" a tech company focused on documenting every part of human existence in a Dante's Inferno-esque journey. It's not bad but not as strong as Eggers' other work.
    Best,
    Paul

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phsiao08 View Post
    Currently Reading "The Circle" by Dave Eggers. It chronicles the journey of a 24-year old woman named Mae who starts at "The Circle" a tech company focused on documenting every part of human existence in a Dante's Inferno-esque journey. It's not bad but not as strong as Eggers' other work.
    Ohh, good book. I particularly liked how the book is more-or-less an allegory for Facebook. I won't ruin it for you but I know after I finished book I started seeing parallels to everyday life. Very much 1984-esque.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    The Abbot by Sir Walter Scott. It is the sequel to [I]The Monastery[/I.] The Monastery focused on a family of the monastery's vassals, early in the reign of Mary, Queen of Scots and during the reformation. The Abbot takes place after the Monastery is suppressed and focuses on the captivity of Queen Mary in Scotland. The Abbot plays a very minor role (so far).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Yeah I'm starting to feel Circle-style notifications in everyday life lol. It's just pretty heavy handed.I always thought the book is just Eggers' way of ranting against the social media age.
    Best,
    Paul

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Finally got around to reading Harry Potter (lol). About to finish the third book. Watching the corresponding movie after I finish each book.

Also just started reading Millionaire Teacher.

Previous to those, I read The Science of Interstellar, which was fascinating.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)
    I tried to read To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris but just couldn't get through it. My recommendation is to give it a pass.