Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: Allen Edmonds 2 for $200 Thread

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Don't forget that there's also a breaking-in period with nicer shoes. That still doesn't guarantee that they'll fit you perfectly, but if the last is a good fit it should only get better with wear. High-end shoes aren't made to be one-size-fits-most, and for whatever reason don't use extra cushioning to make them fit more varieties of feet more comfortably. I'm guessing it's because the specific-last approach allows for more elegant styling, and the cushioning you'd get in other brands is just an extra component that will fall apart.

I admit that none of my nicer dress shoes (mostly AE) fit great, but I haven't worn any pair more than a few times so it's not fair to come to a conclusion just yet. It would be nice if there were a whole-shoe foam insert to make all dress shoes feel like gym shoes inside

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)

Just to add in here, it was the tongue/laces over my instep(top of foot), so switching to the bar lace ladder style(I think that's the style) over the Euro Bar style(this one criss crosses and ladder runs up the sides and never crosses over) has helped a lot for pain, shoe feels a bit loose, but I can't fit 1 finger behind my heel so it should be a good fit theoretically.

On my left foot which is smaller I did the ladder style properly for 5 eyelets and have 1 lace across the top of the tongue at the top, which lets it get tighter I find.

On the right foot the laces go under the Vamp, so they don't go out of the top eyelets but rather in, so getting them untied is a bit more finicky but it is worth it.

Another question, do your heels feel "funny" mine have a sense of as if they were rubbing but I've hardly walked at all in them, it's as if the back of the shoe is too short or something, no pain just an odd feeling sitting here most of the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks shad0w4life, I just sent mine back...Will wait until the fall comes and buy the A.E. I really want...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)

Jag: Tent sale June 16th to the 23rd IIR so you might be able to get them sooner

I hope I can sell that pair I have on ebay, I put the price low so they better sell! and get a pair more my taste.

I find having my player's not so tight makes them more comfortable, not as odd of a heel feeling etc, or they are just breaking in. I've worn them 3 days in a row at work just to try and get them better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@shad0w4life: wow, tent sale, that's good to know. Hopefully, a better selection than the memorial day's one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is the 2 for $200 still going on?

Sent email to shoebank@allenedmonds, received list, but these prices are pretty high.. $259 Strands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@ag101: No, it ended in mid-May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What are the general thoughts on the AF Fairfaix in "Chilli"?

http://cdn.styleforum.net/2/2c/2cdf8f88_allen-edmonds-fairfax.jpeg

I saw a pair at Nordstrom's Rack for $212 but wasn't shure how good of a price that was and how versatile the shoe could be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

^ Not a fan of that shoe. I wouldn't even buy it from eBay for $50.

I finally wore my pair of Malverns for the first time since I ordered it during the 2 for $200 sale. Gotta say that I really enjoy chukka boots

Here's some more info on the tent sale: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...2012-Tent-Sale

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)

I'm pretty much at the point of saying AE shoes are VERY VERY over rated. The players I have make my feet sweat which then causes the socks to get tight on my toes and it drives me nuts. If I move my foot around inside the shoe it constantly happens even with the laces undone. There is also something off with the heels it feels like they are rubbing but I can't detect any heel slip in them so it's more along the lines of the heel is just an odd shape.

The strawfuts are a bit better, but most likely due to mesh. Still aren't the greatest shoe and I'm always reminded I am wearing it.

I may try some florsheims here and see if they are any better but this is absurd from a normally $300 pair of shoes. I'd be pissed if I had bought these for retail price!