Thread: Help: What color shirts/sweaters look good with dark green pants... ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Hey guys, I recently picked up a pair of dark green pants and I'm having difficulty settling on what colors to wear with them. If I can't think of too many combinations I may just return them. I know a blue oxford will work but what other colors would you suggest Black? White? Blues?

Also, does anyone wear a plain colored tee under a vneck sweater? Or this not "dapper"?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

While I'm not good at color matching, I suppose a few madras check shirts would match quite well with dark pants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

white, light blue, yellow, grey really anything not too dark. navy would also work. Just no red.

Varsity Member nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

For your second question: http://dappered.com/2012/03/style-debate-wearing-a-sweater-over-nothing-at-all/

You could get away with nothing, you could wear an even deeper v-neck undershirt that doesn't show, or you can wear a collared shirt (personal fav). Whatever you do, don't wear a crewneck shirt under a v-neck sweater. It defeats the point of a v-neck.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)

black would most certainly work.. I've never really felt comfortable in dark green though. I just returned a pair of brown/moss green pants to Banana, similar to Bonobos "Bull Denim." Maybe in the fall, but not now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, you can go without a button down shirt under a sweater. Don't let people tell you different.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

@ BB, I have similar colored pants and tend to coordinate either a pink button down or my heather grey sweater (with a crisp white tee under).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

I'll preface by saying that what I wrote is mostly a giant rehash of everything already said...

It's unfortunate that the complimentary color for green is red since it can make a person look like a Christmas tree. However, pink MAY be an option if done carefully (make it near-white and try before you buy... and no promises). White and grey both work, but if you start to approach dark shades of grey, it won't be very "springy" (but should still be fine for fall). Kinek's "yellow" suggestion is also a good one if you can pull it off since it's an analogous color to green. However, not everyone looks good in yellow, depending on skin tone. I'm also a firm believer that there's at least one shade of blue that will go with ANYTHING, and it's just a matter of finding it/them.

Pratyk also had a pretty good idea. Consider finding a patterned shirt that has a number of colors - especially if one of the accent colors is dark green. If the shirt works on it's own, it should work with the pants.

However, after it's all said and done, I think a simple white shirt might look the best... If for no other reason than you're already wearing green pants.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

What Alan said basically. But basically take a look outside, shades of yellow, red and orange all go with green. If you look at flowers the base layer is always green (grass). But make sure that the top isnt dark to avoid poor contrast. Go with lighter cool weather colors...if all else fails find a patterned shirt with green in it...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I