Page 55 of 330 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's the latest in my personal odyssey (=battle) to find a good-fitting shirt for my body type. This is a Land's End size L (16-16.5/34-35) "Tailored Fit" cotton-linen shirt that I'd primarily wear in a casual setting at work (apologies for the messy bedroom!). My first impression is that the size in the waist is just right, especially considering how much difficulty I typically have in that area. When trying on various shirts at the mall today (BR soft-wash, Nordstrom 901, Bonobos XL oxford), the ones that were fine in the waist were too baggy up top and the ones that were fine up top were WAY too slim in the waist. That being said, I know the sleeves in this LE are pretty billowy and a tad too long and the shoulder seam is a bit too far below my shoulder bone. Is this something I could have fine-tuned by a tailor? What say ye? Is my judgement on the right track or are there things I'm missing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unless I'm greatly mistaken, that shoulder seam issue is not something that can be cheaply fixed by a tailor and it is WAY off for sure. The sleeves could easily be shortened and slimmed, but that shoulder seam... I'd say it's a deal breaker for this shirt, but that's just me.

I really think you should try a ModernTailor shirt to see what a good fit for you is. The first shirt is $35 shipped and should nail your body type. Other than that, I'd say to get shirts that fit in the shoulder and are too big elsewhere and simply bring in the sides either at the stomach or chest to make it fit there, the shoulders are just the most expensive to alter.

Some body types are, as you well know, difficult to fit OTR. I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but it may be the case that for your shirting needs you may need to look to MTM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

Just got my first indochino suit in and almost shocked by how well it seems to fit. might still have some minor tailoring to do but for out of the box it fits nice. will take pics for advice later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey guys, been browsing this site for a while and posting to get some opinions on the fit of the jcrew factory suit. Jacket is 46R and pants are 36. If it fits, will head to the tailor for alterations, but if it doesn't, any recommendations on places to find suit separates will be appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@Matt: If the shirt doesn't fit in the shoulders forget it. Take advantage of the modern tailor offer for free customers. If you feel more comfy buying off the rack, Land end is notorious for oversize issues, try a medium in their non tailored fit line and see if the shoulders match up there. A tailor can then slim the waist and sleeves as needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Deebs, my thoughts:

Jacket length is spot on perfect. If the top right picture is with the jacket buttoned, it has great drape at the back. Sleeve length looks good. Pants look good, need to be hemmed, but you already said you were gonna take it to the tailor so that's fine. Armholes look okay, definitely good for the J.Crew Factory price. Shoulders look fine.

My sole concern with this suit is what is happening in the top center picture, it looks like the jacket is tight enough to cause the lapels to divot when buttoned, a relatively common but unsightly occurrence. It's not major even if you left it like that, and a competent tailor could probably find some room to let the chest out a little bit and resolve it.

Verdict: keep it! Looks like you've got a pretty good fit OTR, can be perfected on the cheap with a hem, perhaps a slight taper of the legs if that's what you're into, a sleeve shortening of about .5" to .75", and maybe a slight let-out of the chest in the realm of .25" to .5". All easy and cheap alterations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Vicious

One thing I would suggest is that you wear a different belt with those pants. To me the belt and pants are too close in color and with casual pants like that gives off a weird look. That belt would be great with non khaki pants or jeans though.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)

AJ - Thanks for the tip. Those are actually shorts I was wearing that day with a polo shirt over it that was not tucked in so the belt never showed. I just quickly took some of those shirts out of the package as soon as I received them, put them on, and shot the pics. I have a 4 in 1 belt from LL Bean but since I knew it wouldn't be showing, I didn't want to take the time to switch the buckle around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kenneth and acoustic - Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go ahead and exchange it for a medium regular fit to see if the shoulders and sleeves fit any better. If not, I'll definitely try Modern Tailor or Ratio. I know Ratio is more pricey but if I'm only going to have one light blue OCBD in my closet I'd be willing to pay extra for a high-quality shirt that's made in the U.S. I just hope their Classic Fit wouldn't be too slim for my torso!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the feedback, Kenneth. I'm starting a new internship for grad school in the Fall and will have to be wearing a suit every day. I'll probably go pick up the other colors from the factory store pending what the tailor can do with the chest.