Page 3 of 329 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I went to look on eBay and didn't see any in a 36L in brands I'd recommend.

I can tell you what my tailor would charge:

$35 to bring in the coat at the center seam to make the shoulders fit

$15 to lengthen the sleeves

with that they'd probably throw in bringing in the sides, but that might be another $15

$15 to hem and taper the pants

So I think you'll probably be able to get out under $100, but maybe ask for an estimate if you don't have a lot of experience with your tailor. It might be a good way to pick a tailor if you don't have one... ask them what they'd do with this suit and see what they say.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

A lot of specifics here. I'm trying to be concise, not a jerk. The jacket doesn't fit. It didn't fit me either when I bought it. Sleeves are really short (and functional buttons right?), shoulders are too big as is the waist. At that point you'll be in nearly $300 for the suit and tailoring not including pants. I'd say return and start somewhere else.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Based solely on the pics -- which is somewhat difficult -- I would say that the jacket is absolutely wearable, but only if there is enough fabric to lengthen the sleeves. Taking it in at the sides/back should be pretty straightforward. Jason makes a great suggestion: Take the jacket to a couple of tailors (hopefully based on recommendations) and ask them how they would handle the suit in terms of alterations. Compare their prices and opinions, and make your decision from there. Don't let them pressure you; though in my experience, most tailors aren't high-pressure types.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi gents. I picked up this Brooks Brothers 346 jacket at the Salvation Army. A whole $5! I think it fits pretty well, but it might be a tad long. What do you think? Can a tailor correct it? This jacket might be part of suit, but it's hard to tell. I couldn't find matching pants in the store. I think it's wearable as a jacket on its own.

http://www.flickr.com//photos/680159...00298273/show/

Varsity Member nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Hi Rogin,

It looks a bit big overall. On the arms, just below the shoulder, you've got a dimple that shoes some extra space in the shoulders. Plus, like you said, it runs a little long on you, but that's not a deal breaker. It was only $5! You could probably make it work with grey wool slacks, and it fits well in the waist, it seems. I just wouldn't put any money into tailoring a jacket that's big in the shoulders - something you wouldn't be able to fix with tailoring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, that's a size too big for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, that's a size too big for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the thoughts. I thought it was a little big. I'm a bigger guy though, so it's tough to find something that fits in the shoulders and the waist. I'll sit on it and figure out what to do with it.

Varsity Member nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Don't sweat it. Always aim for the shoulders. Unless it was chopped up by alterations in the past, there's a good chance the waist could be let out by a tailor. For $5, it's worth taking something that fits in the shoulders to the tailor to consult with them about the waist. Usually if you keep the receipt and leave the tags on, you can return thrifted items too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, shoulders and chest... The tailor can tweak the chest a little bit, but not that much