Page 2 of 329 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you say so... The pic of the back definitely looks like the shoulders are too big to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This thread on StyleForum at one point had three tailors chime in on the fit of suits, coats, pants. Going just to the last page, it looks like at least two of them are still answering it: a tailor and Despos.

You may still need to take better quality photos for their sake and full body ones at that, but it's worth a shot if you want a tailor's perspective:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/t...on-suggestions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

I agree the shoulders look like they are sticking out a bit. Maybe like 1/2 inch on each side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I do see what you mean, and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.

I just mentioned the position of the seam vs the bone as a way to give a general idea of where the shoulders of the jacket land on my body and possibly a starting point to figure out which direction I should go.

I'm definitely not an expert on fit or anything (hence my asking you guys).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Ya I wish I could give mroe specifics. It is definitely fixable, I just dont know how much it would run you. I lost some weight and am getting back into shape after taking 2 years off from carign about myself :P I had a 42r suit (I am now on the slim end of 40) that I really liked, and I had a tailor save that, mind you the jacket alone cost me about 90-100 bucks to fix. He had to take padding out of the shoulders, material out from the torso/underarm area, bring the shoulders in closer, etc... He basically had to rebuild the jacket, but he did it. Yours needs 1/10th of the work mine did, so I am sure it is more than fixable for a reasonable price.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    924 Post(s)

The second round pictures make the jacket look much better generally than the first. The shoulders do look a little wide, and the sleeves could be a little longer, if that's what you like (I tend to have my shirt sleeves a little shorter than yours, so my jackets are correspondingly a little shorter as well). The length of the jacket seems fine.

Definitely should get the sides taken in, but I can't really tell / don't know what is going on with the sleeves. With the shoulders, I might try a 36L (or 37L) if they have it / if you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also @JasonCarreira re: sleeve lengthening:

There is 1.5" of fabric from the end of the sleeve to where the lining starts and there feels like there is about another .5" of fabric beyond where the lining starts. Does that sound doable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Maybe doable... It depends how much slack there is in the lining. You'll need at least 1/2" of fabric cuffed inside to attach to the lining, so it will depend on if the lining has an extra inch of seam allowance to come down to it.

If you don't mind, how much did you pay for the suit, and what's your budget for alterations?

Varsity Member nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Yes. You'll need about 3/4" inch for the sleeve cuff - a tailor could tell you more exactly.

I agree with JC - the shoulders look wide. Sizing down to a 36R would really shorten things up for you in the sleeves, which is going in the complete wrong direction. I'm sort of a 38R, more like a 36L. It's tough in our size!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Jason: Just north of $200 for the suit. Not really sure of a budget for alterations. Hopefully under $100 but whatever it takes to get it right. Obviously at some point it just makes more sense to return it and look for a better suit, though.

@nicholascrawford: I was actually just looking for a 36L. Apparently they are quite elusive!