Thread: Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    New suit from Spier & Mackay:

http://imgur.com/a/XiB7P

Fit seems pretty good to me, button stance is a touch high. Could be a touch longer in both body and sleeve, but at the price point I think the fit is pretty good. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zcm View Post
    Got my shirt back from ratio again. There is still something going on with the chest/armhole area. Anyone know why this is happening?

Anyone else have any insight for me? Ratio CS got back to me and said they think it looks fine. Am I nuts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Anyone else have any insight for me? Ratio CS got back to me and said they think it looks fine. Am I nuts?
    I can't really see an issue, maybe it just doesn't come across properly in a photo? Looking back through your comments are you saying it is too tight across the chest?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    The sleeves bunched up around the shoulders?

The mid section is for sure too big, or else you do the tuck and pull shirt out thing of the 90's

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TKNumber3 View Post
    I can't really see an issue, maybe it just doesn't come across properly in a photo? Looking back through your comments are you saying it is too tight across the chest?
    It's not tight in the chest... it just seemed snug at the armholes and looked like it was pulling towards the armpit in the chest and sleeve
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    The sleeves bunched up around the shoulders?

The mid section is for sure too big, or else you do the tuck and pull shirt out thing of the 90's
    I don't do that thing. It is a little bigger than I would prefer in the waist but that is an easy fix.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    @joegeis I think the torso needs more tailoring than would be worth on a $30 jacket. I'd size down one next time, unless the shoulders are already snug.

You're obviously a pretty built guy, and I think JCrew jackets just flat out don't look good on people with athletic/muscular frames, without a ton of tailoring.

Apologies for the bluntness; if you like the jacket, wear it, but I wouldn't sink a bunch of money into tailoring it when the cut itself isn't really intended for your body type. Carry on.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TKNumber3 View Post
    New suit from Spier & Mackay:

http://imgur.com/a/XiB7P

Fit seems pretty good to me, button stance is a touch high. Could be a touch longer in both body and sleeve, but at the price point I think the fit is pretty good. Thoughts?
    I agree that the button stance is high and the length short. I'd go up a length in the same size, or try a different cut altogether. You have relatively narrow shoulders compared to your torso, or at least the suit is making it appear that way, and the high stance and minimal shoulder structure isn't helping you.

Ever tried a JCrew/JCF jacket? The low button stance and structured shoulders would probably look good on you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roostertail View Post
    @joegeis I think the torso needs more tailoring than would be worth on a $30 jacket. I'd size down one next time, unless the shoulders are already snug.

You're obviously a pretty built guy, and I think JCrew jackets just flat out don't look good on people with athletic/muscular frames, without a ton of tailoring.

Apologies for the bluntness; if you like the jacket, wear it, but I wouldn't sink a bunch of money into tailoring it when the cut itself isn't really intended for your body type. Carry on.
    I appreciate the bluntness and advice. My issue is always that my shoulders and chest are bigger proportionally then my neck and arm length. Any recommended types of jackets that would be better?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roostertail View Post
    I agree that the button stance is high and the length short. I'd go up a length in the same size, or try a different cut altogether. You have relatively narrow shoulders compared to your torso, or at least the suit is making it appear that way, and the high stance and minimal shoulder structure isn't helping you.

Ever tried a JCrew/JCF jacket? The low button stance and structured shoulders would probably look good on you.
    The small lapels on the Ludlow look strange on me, and I'm never quite pleased with the shoulders on the JCF Thompson.

Looking at those pictures again, I feel like it looks better in person. I think I'm standing really strangely. The suit seems more fitted when I had it on in the house, so there is less of shoulder--> waist straight line. I'll have to try it on a few more times and decide. Thanks for the input.

Tried it on again, and compared it to a few of my other jackets. I think the button stance is the issue, it is just too high in combo with the short length of the jacket.
    Last edited by TKNumber3; October 23rd, 2014 at 08:24 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joegeis View Post
    I appreciate the bluntness and advice. My issue is always that my shoulders and chest are bigger proportionally then my neck and arm length. Any recommended types of jackets that would be better?
    I have broad shoulders relative to my size, and I've had good luck with Land's End tailored fit. They have lighter shoulder padding, wider lapels, a higher button stance, and a bit more drop compared to JCrew, all good things for us broad-shouldered brethren.