Page 11 of 332 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Jason - I was thinking the same. Its does have a good fit on my shoulder though. Is it worth it to take them in, or or bearable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Up to you I guess... It would be $35 at my tailor for them to bring it in at the center seam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey dapper fellows, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this blazer. I got it at H&M ~2 yrs ago (long before I knew anything about dressing well, fit, and style). It's 36R (I'm 5'7", 135 lbs and from my self measurements a 35" chest). How does it fit?

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1...0404112543.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3...0404111904.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3983/20120404114923.jpg

I feel like the armholes are way too low. I get those dimples in the sleeves if I lift the arms even a little.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8540/20120404111734.jpg

Just for the record, I don't really like this blazer (especially with the white trim. what was I thinking?!) and in fact I've only worn it once in all this time... But I have it, so should I try to pull it off or it's kind of a waste isn't it? Or maybe it's just so bad that it get rid of it ASAP?

Also, it's a bit late for pea coats, but how does this one fit? It's a more recent purchase and tried to get the right fit. I have a problem with the back vent flaring slightly. It's a Schott 740C size 36R. And yeah... red lining.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3...0404113057.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4...0404113125.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5747/20120404113230.jpg

Maybe one of these days I'll be brave enough to show my face on the internets.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

hmmmmmm, ithink the fit on the blazer isnt terrible, but it aint great...personally i wouldnt even bother with alterations on it, its verging on really trendy and outside of the club, i dont see much use for it...but that is of personal opinion, the shoulders do seem somewhat larger but not by alot, the proportions from top to bottom are off IMO. and the drape seems boxy and too much material used for your frame.

The peacoat is great fit, gives room for the winter layering and still has a nice silhouette

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    <blockquote>

Just for the record, I don't really like this blazer (especially with the white trim. what was I thinking?!) and in fact I've only worn it once in all this time... But I have it, so should I try to pull it off or it's kind of a waste isn't it? Or maybe it's just so bad that it get rid of it ASAP?
    </blockquote>

Don't you hate that feeling? You bought it, you have it, you don't wear it, but you don't want to quite throw in the towel.

Two options out of many:

1) Just get rid of it and be done with it. You'll be able to move on better without that thing hanging around.

2) Wear it like you own it despite the white trim, despite the less than stellar fit and whatever you can pick wrong with it because most people don't really see the things you see with it. Just be confident in it

That's what keeps me putting on those hideous Dockers D2 pants pictured above. They sure don't fit well, don't look good, but I've got no other "dressier" chinos to wear right now, so I just wear it proudly and tell myself most people don't see that stuff. At least that's what I tell myself, haha

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)

@Runners n jeans - truth is, most people don't I remind myself the same thing whenever I go out in something I'm not totally pumped about. And nobody ever gives me looks or laughs, so I realize that this clothing thing is all in my head. Helps me spend less $$ too, haha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@MaxMan I pretty much agree with all your assessments. It's definitely trendy and I can't really think of any occasion in which I would wear it.

I want to take this opportunity to learn what makes a good fit so that next I buy a blazer or sportcoat it will actually fit correctly! I can see that it's too boxy and there is too much material. This would be easily fixed by a tailor though, right? The shoulders are slightly too large but not by very much. I do remember when I tried 34R I couldn't even move my arms. I've never seen size 35 offered and in fact size 36 is usually the smallest most places go. How would I go about in the future finding one that fits correctly?

Also, I'm glad to hear I nailed the correct fit on the pea coat. It's probably one of the first purchases I made having been aware of proper fit so it looks like I'm on the right track. Yes!

@runner n jeans Haha. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm leaning toward just ditching it. I hate how it's been staring at me whenever I've opened my closet these past 2 years. Over the past few months I've been getting rid of anything that simply was the wrong size (It's depressing how much that was. I've come a long way over a year from always wearing t-shirts a size too large and baggy cargo pants.) and the blazer is probably one of the only things that was even close to being a correct fit. But you know what? I can't even remember the last time I saw someone my age wearing a blazer so maybe I'll just wear it one last time just for the heck of it before I retire it permanently. Anyways, good luck to us both in improving our style!

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)

@D4rkRXN - hah! I totally feel too young/not professional enough to wear blazers so I gave away my last one recently. Be sure to donate your clothes to a favorite charitable organization instead of letting them sit around/end up in the trash!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@LosRockets I know! I wonder at what age I'll truly be able to pull of a blazer. I'm in my first year of grad school so I think it's soon? Then again I'm in engineering and most people just dress the same way as before... which isn't that great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

@LosRockets & @D4rkRXN:

Dan Trepanier of thestyleblogger.com constantly says this: Whatever you wear, wear it confidently and you can pull it off. If you're self-conscious and lacking confident in it, it ends up showing.

This isn't a pep talk about finding your inner self and psyching yourself up . It's realizing that people don't care or know as much as you think and that we too often are too concerned with the way others perceive us.

Wear it like a boss, as they would say.