Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need sport / running glasses with progressive lenses

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1502 Post(s)

Need sport / running glasses with progressive lenses

<sigh>
    Well the time has come. I can no longer see my Garmin while out for a run. So I need to start wearing glasses of some sort. I would like to get a pair of progressives, with clear glass on the upper section and the prescription part on the lower section. Anyone have any recommendations where to purchase a pair of affordable glasses that meet these requirements?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Online is your best bet, which in Canada means Clearly.ca, or Costco.

Almost every brick and mortar chain is owned by or supplied by Luxotica (Essilor), and charges ridiculous monopolistic prices. An industry insider -- who literally spent time in jail for dispensing glasses in Ontario without charging for a full medical eye exam -- says lenses cost C$10-$60, while the designer name-brand frames are all licensed by Luxotica and produced to the same standards as their store brands. (That's not to say $30 frames are as good as $150 frames, but there's almost no difference between $150 frames and $500 frames with a designer name.)

https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/m/epi...pisodes/framed

My last pair from clearly.ca cost C$259 plus taxes, despite using very high index lenses with a blue-light filter. Progressives would push that to C$300, plus frames, and more for sunglasses or polarized lenses.

Clearly is based in B.C., one of the provinces which doesn't give opthalmologists and optometrists the exclusive right to fill lens prescriptions. That means when you get a lens prescription you'll get the full set of information, including the pupillary distance (PD) necessary to centre the lenses in front of your eyes. You can also measure it yourself if you're in a restricted province.

Clearly has great online shopping tools, such as using a photo or your phone's selfie camera to show you how glasses would look. Even better is free returns if you're unsatisfied with frames or lenses.

The frame selection varies, so if you see a pair you like best order it quickly. I've delayed and the frames I was interested in sold out, never to return.

I've not bought from Costco, but checked prices when I was a member and they were competitive albeit usually higher than Clearly. And if you're not normally a member, keep in mind you can always get the membership fee refunded.

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2102 Post(s)
    I’d do Costco. As a life-long glasses wearer, I don’t understand how people think they can buy glasses online. Picking the right size/shape, getting them correctly fitted, and making sure the pupillary distance in the lenses are correct are all things that require the hands-on touch.

Plus I almost always end up picking frames for myself that I loved after trying them on in-person but would not have sought out otherwise.

In terms of brick and mortar stores, Costco has by far the best prices IME.
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    I purchased glasses from Costco, eye exam, bi-focals, frames, etc. but my success has been better going to another set up. Independent optometrist experience was better than Costco or Lens Crafters in the US. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I’d do Costco. As a life-long glasses wearer, I don’t understand how people think they can buy glasses online. Picking the right size/shape, getting them correctly fitted, and making sure the pupillary distance in the lenses are correct are all things that require the hands-on touch.

Plus I almost always end up picking frames for myself that I loved after trying them on in-person but would not have sought out otherwise.

In terms of brick and mortar stores, Costco has by far the best prices IME.
    I got lasik but agree with this thought process. I donít mind buying some stuff online but to me glasses are better off in person. I got a slight prescription last time. I slipped just out of 20/20. I tried one of those online companyís since the prescription was just .25. Got them just for driving and they just seem off. Itís not worth it to me to get something like glasses wrong.

I used to get mine at BJs warehouse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    As a regular wearer of progressives, I'd recommend starting with bifocals, first. I can't run with progressives - way too much distortion around periphery - so would try a simple non-magnified top lens with a small magnified bottom section. Either way, I'll be very interested to hear what you end up doing and how it works for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Depending on your eye use at work, progressives might be odd. Iím wearing bifocals for the last... since 1987 and the shift from reading on the page to looking at people (which is basically my job) is harder when you have to find just the right head position to see through the progressive lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1502 Post(s)
    Gents, good suggestions to go for biofocals.

I need the magnification for both riding my bike and running. My eyesight is poor enough that I cannot make out the digital speed/distance/whatever on the Gramin devices. But I need to be able to look ahead and see the distance/road.

I'll have to see if Costco can create the glasses that I'm after. I was hoping to find some sort of existing sport frame I could just through the lenses in.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Gents, good suggestions to go for biofocals.

I need the magnification for both riding my bike and running. My eyesight is poor enough that I cannot make out the digital speed/distance/whatever on the Gramin devices. But I need to be able to look ahead and see the distance/road.

I'll have to see if Costco can create the glasses that I'm after. I was hoping to find some sort of existing sport frame I could just through the lenses in.
    Do you have an Oakley store near you? They do prescription glasses and are probably some of the better known sport frame makers. I would stop by there as I am sure others have been after what you've done for cycling and running.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Do you have an Oakley store near you? They do prescription glasses and are probably some of the better known sport frame makers. I would stop by there as I am sure others have been after what you've done for cycling and running.
    Ditto