Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rewards and cash back maximizing - How much of it do you do?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Rewards and cash back maximizing - How much of it do you do?

I recently picked up a few stuff from BR, with 8% cash back with Ebates. Pretty neat, right?
    But then, I noticed that Gap is running 10% cash back. So I exited BR, went into Gap with BR items in the cart, and checked out with 10% cash back.

The difference is just a couple dollars, but I felt like I wanted to maximize any cash back I am allowed to get if all I had to do was a couple extra taps on the phone.

It made me wonder though, how much of rewards/cash back maximizing do you guys do when you shop?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    475 Post(s)
    Those are all just ways for companies to aggregate personal information about you and sell it to the highest bidder.

I opt out.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Not worth it to me to jump through their hoops.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    The only thing I do is max cash back based on which credit card I use. I Will also do searching for coupon codes but I just don’t trust those ebate type websites.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    The only thing I do is max cash back based on which credit card I use. I Will also do searching for coupon codes but I just don’t trust those ebate type websites.
    Yeah, my wife does ebates (which I think is now Rakuten?), but I generally stick to my credit cards for my cashback/reward points optimization. I know for Chase, you can go through the Ultimate Rewards portal and often get an additional percentage kickback (on top of the normal card rewards) from a lot of the major online retailers.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    how much of rewards/cash back maximizing do you guys do when you shop?
    I never do.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Those are all just ways for companies to aggregate personal information about you and sell it to the highest bidder.

I opt out.
    Of using credit cards or other electronic payments? Or of cashback rewards programs?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post

I opt out.
    I agree. I don't ever give any info I don't have to, otherwise I start getting bombarded with mail/e-mail from places I've never heard of. I have 1 point/cash back type of credit card that I use for all of my automated and online purchases and that's it.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    Never done the rebates sites. The only credit card hopping I do is Citi Double Cash 2% on all purchases then an Amazon card for 5% back. The rest is just a headache.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    475 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    Of using credit cards or other electronic payments? Or of cashback rewards programs?
    rewards and points programs not attached to an existing card.

frequent buyer points, clubs, all that stuff...it's just data harvesting with an incentive attached to get you to agree to it.

i mean it's totally your call, but my line of work already has enough risks, and while OPM already completely borked me and everything's out there, a lot has been thankfully updated/changed to minimize risk. call it professional paranoia if you will.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com