Thread: Question on Allen Edmonds, Quality, Boxes etc

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Question on Allen Edmonds, Quality, Boxes etc

So I was reading last Thursday's Men's sales handful and read that the AE Higgins Mill in tumbled leather 1st qualitywere on sale on the AE site with an extra 20% on top of that. Final price $159

So I ordered a pair and they had a few minor defects. Some uneven dye, a few scratches.

Then I noticed the boots came in a brown box with no shoe bag.

I had thought the 1st quality came in a black box with a shoe bag and the 2nd quality came in a brown box without.

Am I mistaken about the box? I'm just wondering if they sent me 2nds that were advertised as 1sts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Traditionally, AE firsts would come with a box and shoebag, but since they've been under the ownership of the Caleres group (best known for owning Famous Footwear and a glut of other mediocre, mall store brands), it seems like QC, consistency, and overall value have fallen off a cliff, much to this forum's dismay (if you search around, you will see a ton of complaints). So I wouldn't be surprised at all if you received "firsts" and this is just their new norm.

To be fair, I have received 1st's and 2nd's in identical boxes in the pre-Caleres era (the only difference being the product label on the box and the lack of shoebags), so I wouldn't look too much into the box color, out of what you described.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Shoe/boot bags are $2. I bought a bunch at their sale last year.

I understand your point - you bought a 1st quality item, but keep in mind that $159 is $40 less than a factory second HM with an extra 20% discount, so if you like the boots, I wouldn't get too hung up on a few dings, bags, or box.

$159 for HM is a steal.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Over the last two years, I've purchased about 10 pairs of AE for both myself and my son. Two or three were seconds. Almost all were purchased with big discounts--up to 65% off.

As to the boxes, I think I've gotten three different types of boxes. Porter sneakers and airport models came in the brown boxes. Shoes made in the DR came in a light blue box. All the other ones came in the dark box, including a pair of Sterling boots that were seconds.

As to shoe bags, all the shoes purchased before the Caleres takeover came with shoe bags. One or two pairs afterwards did. The rest didn't.

As to quality, I would say that some of the shoes sold as firsts should have been seconds--but the discounts were so big that I didn't really care.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?