Thread: Recent Purchases

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    picked up my first pair of Aldens, unlined snuff suede flex welt 6243f

Oh my, very nice!

I have yet to take the plunge--but I will some day.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Oh my, very nice!

I have yet to take the plunge--but I will some day.
    Thanks. It's my most expensive pair of shoes by a good amount. But wanted to see what they're all about after realizing that I really like penny loafers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)
    Stuart and Lau Briefcase (pre-2019 version)

Recently bought the regular-size, older-model Stuart and Lau briefcase for $65 during their sale.

The hardware is very good. My main frustration with most bags I've owned is either the zippers or the stitching on the handles are inadequate. In this case, the zippers feel/sound good and the handles are attached by metal buckles that are in turn stitched to the bag all the way down and around the bag.

The outer magnet pocket is useful for small items that I don't care too much about losing. I carry Band-Aids, mints, and a few dollars in this pocket for easy access.

The cell phone pocket is too small for any cell phone I own; I use it for receipts instead.

The main compartment is great for organizing electronics. I typically don't have much time to set up for a presentation and having everything organized on the go really helps. I keep all of the small items in pockets, stow the larger items in the middle, and have the laptop in its designated compartment. The bag doesn't fold out for airport screening, but I have Precheck so most of the time I'm told to leave everything in the bag.

I keep a cashier's journal in the middle outer pocket. I'm not sure what else could go in these outer pockets that would be useful. They are the right size for a passport, but I'm entirely too paranoid about losing my passport to keep it in my bag.

The bag stands up by itself if I have enough loaded in it. If I am just carrying the laptop, the bag will not stand up as the laptop weighs down one side.

The magnetic key holder works until it doesn't. It works fine if I am just going from one place to another on foot or by car, securely holding two keys. However, when I get off of an airplane, the keys have always fallen. I think it is putting the bag under the airplane seat that dislodges the keys. In any case, it is a good idea, it just doesn't work for the one instance where I am actually groggy and wondering where my keys are: after a return flight.

Highly recommend if they ever do this $65 thing again. Can somewhat recommend at more, not sure about $325.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)
    Hey, @ianr that's a good looking briefcase. Especially for $65.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Stuart and Lau Briefcase (pre-2019 version)

Recently bought the regular-size, older-model Stuart and Lau briefcase for $65 during their sale.

The hardware is very good. My main frustration with most bags I've owned is either the zippers or the stitching on the handles are inadequate. In this case, the zippers feel/sound good and the handles are attached by metal buckles that are in turn stitched to the bag all the way down and around the bag.

The outer magnet pocket is useful for small items that I don't care too much about losing. I carry Band-Aids, mints, and a few dollars in this pocket for easy access.

The cell phone pocket is too small for any cell phone I own; I use it for receipts instead.

The main compartment is great for organizing electronics. I typically don't have much time to set up for a presentation and having everything organized on the go really helps. I keep all of the small items in pockets, stow the larger items in the middle, and have the laptop in its designated compartment. The bag doesn't fold out for airport screening, but I have Precheck so most of the time I'm told to leave everything in the bag.

I keep a cashier's journal in the middle outer pocket. I'm not sure what else could go in these outer pockets that would be useful. They are the right size for a passport, but I'm entirely too paranoid about losing my passport to keep it in my bag.

The bag stands up by itself if I have enough loaded in it. If I am just carrying the laptop, the bag will not stand up as the laptop weighs down one side.

The magnetic key holder works until it doesn't. It works fine if I am just going from one place to another on foot or by car, securely holding two keys. However, when I get off of an airplane, the keys have always fallen. I think it is putting the bag under the airplane seat that dislodges the keys. In any case, it is a good idea, it just doesn't work for the one instance where I am actually groggy and wondering where my keys are: after a return flight.

Highly recommend if they ever do this $65 thing again. Can somewhat recommend at more, not sure about $325.
    Its stylish and has pocket for all the gadgets.
    Eat what is good for your health but
    Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)
    Ordered the Timex Q diver. I was unlucky last time, really wanted the watch, stuck it in my cart, decided to wait until I got home from work to actually make the purchase. By which time it was sold out thanks to all the media hype/Hodinkee effect.

I got on the restock notification list and had more or less decided it was never going to be restocked when I finally got the notice the other morning and then made the purchase immediately.

Honestly one of the biggest appeals is the battery hatch. I hate, hate, hate changing batteries on Timex watches due to the snap-in case the vast majority of them use.

Last edited by LesserBlackDog; September 14th, 2019 at 11:23 AM.
    Ben