Thread: Recent Purchases

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbook View Post
    Looks awesome. How much did that cost?
    $130. It would have cost shipping to/from but my inlaws live in the same city as the guy who did this. Dandy Shoe Care seems to be the best but shipping to/from Europe would make it a very expensive option.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Sort of recent purchase. Had my AE University's patina'd. I've been dreaming of grabbing some shoes and having this done for a few years. Not everyone's cup of tea and a little dandy but I love them.
    They look AWESOME.

How'd you patina them?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    They look AWESOME.

How'd you patina them?
    I paid someone to do it but it is a dye process that is painted on then he puts a high shine on the toes (if you want a high shine). It took 3-4 weeks for the whole process as he has a day job then does this on the side. Unlike putting coats of polish on to change the color temporarily, this will last forever unless the leather is stripped down again.

The stripping down and then dying the shoes allows for full color changes so you can go walnut to blue/green/red or just add burnishing, which I did, to an existing shoe. As long as you have a picture of what you have in mind, he can replicate it. If you want to see some wild designs, check out Dandy Shoe Care. He has done camo, museum calf like changes, faux wing tip change, and some interesting fades from blackish to red to walnut to blue to green.

I like the idea because I can grab a pair of AE seconds in a design I like then change them up. $100 for 2nds on eBay + some cash for the color change = a unique pair of shoes with your own design touches.

An idea for the future would be something similar to this 2-eyelet derby in a darker shoe with some color undertones. Corthay makes some shoes with wild patterns I may try to emulate too but it just depends on how I feel down the road.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Sort of recent purchase. Had my AE University's patina'd. I've been dreaming of grabbing some shoes and having this done for a few years. Not everyone's cup of tea and a little dandy but I love them.

Those came out beautifully. Well worth the money.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Recently purchased the Billy Reid Bond Peacoat in Navy Melange ($212.50 Large, although medium-sold out might have been better, although I can layer this way), Nike Lunarepic Flyknit Low ($75 from JackRabbit), Allen Edmonds Dalton Bourbon ($159.99 from Shoebank...next to Chili Bleecker Streets and Bourbon Kenilworth)

http://imgur.com/a/blX79

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Pat View Post
    Recently purchased the Billy Reid Bond Peacoat in Navy Melange ($212.50 Large, although medium-sold out might have been better, although I can layer this way), Nike Lunarepic Flyknit Low ($75 from JackRabbit), Allen Edmonds Dalton Bourbon ($159.99 from Shoebank...next to Chili Bleecker Streets and Bourbon Kenilworth)

Nice pick up! I saw those peacoats in store and you can't go wrong with any color offered.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Pat View Post

Can you give a sense of your sizing in other things? Suit sizes? Typical sweater sizes? I'm eyeing that Bond peacoat and trying to decide between L and XL.

I'm 42 or 44r in most suits, large in most tops.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billmeek View Post
    Can you give a sense of your sizing in other things? Suit sizes? Typical sweater sizes? I'm eyeing that Bond peacoat and trying to decide between L and XL.

I'm 42 or 44r in most suits, large in most tops.
    5'7"
    185lbs
    41" chest
    16" kneck (Kamakura Tokyo slim, although I don't usually button the top button)

Most suits I have are 40s in standard fit. I have a Ludlow topcoat in 40, and it is a bit tight to button the top button when wearing a sport coat under.

Sweater is usually medium, but my medium t-shirts are getting a little tight (used to have a 39" chest, but have been lifting)...And large t-shirts are a little loose ... Sort of like the comparison here, although I have a belly http://effortlessgent.com/four-simpl...ell-built-man/

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    Got these shoe trees on clearance for $15CAD each!

5' 6" | 143 lbs | 29x30 pants | 36S jacket | 14.5 shirt | 8 shoe size

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianDapper View Post
    Got these shoe trees on clearance for $15CAD each!

sweet deal...where did you get them?