Page 552 of 626 FirstFirst ... 52452502542550551552553554562602 ... LastLast
Results 5,511 to 5,520 of 6252

Thread: Recent Purchases

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    I've had that happen on a few pairs of shoes before. Most likely it's the rubbing between the tongue and the underside of the eyelets that's causing the squeaking. In all of my cases, applying some cleaner/conditioner to that area combined with breaking the shoe in has made the squeaking go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    @dangerpenguin - Every time I condition and polish my Dalton's they squeak. Someone somewhere mention putting a little baby power in the tongue area and it helps after I polish them. I just dust it on and wipe it away and the squeak goes away.
    I've had the same issue with my 4Q purchased Daltons. Mine squeak a ton when I'm walking on carpet, less so on tile, concrete, wood. No clue why the difference (maybe I walk differently?), but might have to give these ideas a go. Thx gentlemen!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I've had the same issue with my 4Q purchased Daltons. Mine squeak a ton when I'm walking on carpet, less so on tile, concrete, wood. No clue why the difference (maybe I walk differently?), but might have to give these ideas a go. Thx gentlemen!
    Same here. Aside from that, how was the rest of your break-in period? Did you have to play with lacing methods to make the fit more comfortable on the top of your foot by chance? cc: @JBarwick @Token for that ? as well.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerpenguin View Post
    Same here. Aside from that, how was the rest of your break-in period? Did you have to play with lacing methods to make the fit more comfortable on the top of your foot by chance? cc: @JBarwick @Token for that ? as well.
    Mine are over 2 years old and one of the first things I did was ditch the round laces for flat waxed laces. I do the standard criss-cross while keeping the laces flat. Break in for total comfort was maybe 5 wears of 8-ish hours. I've fully conditioned them maybe twice with once weekly wear. For water protection I just add some neutral wax polish and go. Other care has been some color matched cream polish when scuffs are prominent. The soles are super slippery when wet until you are able to scratch up the soles a bit.

These are the laces I bought. They get good reviews and have not shown any signs of wear. TZ Laces is based out of the UK so you get them via Royal Mail which my wife poked fun at. https://www.amazon.com/Flat-29-5-75c...lat+boot+laces

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Mine are over 2 years old and one of the first things I did was ditch the round laces for flat waxed laces. I do the standard criss-cross while keeping the laces flat. Break in for total comfort was maybe 5 wears of 8-ish hours. I've fully conditioned them maybe twice with once weekly wear. For water protection I just add some neutral wax polish and go. Other care has been some color matched cream polish when scuffs are prominent. The soles are super slippery when wet until you are able to scratch up the soles a bit.

These are the laces I bought. They get good reviews and have not shown any signs of wear. TZ Laces is based out of the UK so you get them via Royal Mail which my wife poked fun at. https://www.amazon.com/Flat-29-5-75c...lat+boot+laces
    Interesting idea with the flat laces vs. the round, might have to give that a go. Any chance you recall what length you bought and how those fit on the Daltons?

As to @dangerpenguin 's question, my pair are cordovan, so I imagine will have a bit more of a break in period for the leather uppers. I had AE put on dainite soles, so those are have been rather comfortable from the beginning. I've probably worn them a handful of times for a long-ish office day (8-10 hours) on average, and will likely need a little more time for them to get there. I should probably condition them sometime soon to help with that as well. I've been using the original laces and with a normal criss-cross lacing that I haven't had too much of an issue with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Order a couple things from Bonobos:

Foundation Trouser in Grey Herringbone:
    https://bonobos.com/products/foundat...%20herringbone

Merino V-Neck in Berry (wanted something new to wear with navy chinos)
    https://bonobos.com/products/merino-...eather%20berry

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    @hornsup84 - 55" or 140cm

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)
    @dangerpenguin My daltons didn't need much break in at all, so I never really experimented with lacing. I've just kept the standard laces with criss cross. Is it too loose around your ankles? If so then doing straight bar lacing (or some variant on that) combined with flat laces like @JBarwick suggested will help the lacing stay more snug and secure.

@hornsup84 I had the same squeaking issue with my alden captoe cordovan boots. I chose to wear them for the first time at work and they squeaked like crazy: I think I spent most of the day either holed up in my office or shuffling around to try and minimize noise. I applied some saphir to the tongue, and after about 2-3 more wears the squeaking went away. As you mentioned, cordovan is a lot stiffer so it took longer for the tongue to soften up.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    @hornsup84 I had the same squeaking issue with my alden captoe cordovan boots. I chose to wear them for the first time at work and they squeaked like crazy: I think I spent most of the day either holed up in my office or shuffling around to try and minimize noise. I applied some saphir to the tongue, and after about 2-3 more wears the squeaking went away. As you mentioned, cordovan is a lot stiffer so it took longer for the tongue to soften up.
    Yeah, I find myself shuffling to try to diminish the squeak in the office. Good call on focus on the tongue in particular. I'm starting to get a little bit of wear/softening on the shoes, including the tongue, but definitely a longer process with the cordovan. Thanks for the suggestions!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    @Token yep, looser in the ankles than I'm used to but no heel slippage. I also hadn't considered that I went with an E width instead of just tolerating a Medium/D width, so maybe just a feeling I'll have to get used to. I'll try the lacing change and see if that helps a bit, though - compensated today by tying the laces so tight that they mashed a seam from the tongue into my foot, which caused the pain I mentioned above (oops).

Thanks for the suggestion and appreciate all the feedback, gents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burban View Post

New additions from Chipp. Forgot to include the older sibling in rust.

In order: brown, slate blue, navy, and wine. The wine looked almost like a magenta before I took it out of the plastic covering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wearing my slate blue today and I swear it feels like it has less lining and is far lighter than my rust one I bought a year ago. Does anyone else with Chipp grenadines have any experience with some ties feeling lighter and less substantial than their other ones?

I'll have to take out the food scale tonight and weigh them to be sure.