Page 541 of 635 FirstFirst ... 41441491531539540541542543551591 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,410 of 6344

Thread: Recent Purchases

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)

AE for Club Monaco in brown "snuff" suede. Finally found a pair of monks and a suede shoe that works for me, on sale no less, so I'm extremely pleased.

Now, what belt does one wear with these? Do I need a suede belt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    AE for Club Monaco in brown "snuff" suede. Finally found a pair of monks and a suede shoe that works for me, on sale no less, so I'm extremely pleased.

Nice grab! I wouldn't do a suede belt personally -- I have a similar shade of double monks from BR that I tried matching a suede belt to and it was a little over the top/matchy matchy. Instead, I wear them with a dark leather belt and the leather/suede combo looks just fine. Not aware of any faux pas or fault in pairing the two, either.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    @hornsup84 @dangerpenguin I have no experience with suede belts personally, but all that I've read on the main site suggests that not only is wearing suede shoes without a suede belt okay (and vice versa), but one should always wear them separately.
    Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminado View Post
    @hornsup84 @dangerpenguin I have no experience with suede belts personally, but all that I've read on the main site suggests that not only is wearing suede shoes without a suede belt okay (and vice versa), but one should always wear them separately.
    I agree that it's fine to wear non-suede belt with suede shoes, but I've never heard of a rule to always wear them separately. What's the reasoning behind that?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerpenguin View Post
    Nice grab! I wouldn't do a suede belt personally -- I have a similar shade of double monks from BR that I tried matching a suede belt to and it was a little over the top/matchy matchy. Instead, I wear them with a dark leather belt and the leather/suede combo looks just fine. Not aware of any faux pas or fault in pairing the two, either.
    Thanks both - I am leaning toward not getting any matching belt (although I do like matching belts--as I have matching for most of my AE shoes, except bourbon which I cover with my normal brown belt). For suede, since they're so distinctive, seems like it'd be taking the matching leather a bit too far. I'll prob just stick with my dark brown calf belt for now. I do like the idea of getting a more casual brown belt to potentially pair with the suede (among other casual looks), maybe something with a weave or other texture.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    @Token the thought behind it is actually exactly what @dangerpenguin said: that wearing a suede belt with suede shoes gives off a really matchy-matchy vibe, kinda similar to when people's outfits are overly color-coded.
    Duncan

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Thanks both - I am leaning toward not getting any matching belt (although I do like matching belts--as I have matching for most of my AE shoes, except bourbon which I cover with my normal brown belt). For suede, since they're so distinctive, seems like it'd be taking the matching leather a bit too far. I'll prob just stick with my dark brown calf belt for now. I do like the idea of getting a more casual brown belt to potentially pair with the suede (among other casual looks), maybe something with a weave or other texture.
    If you do go suede, I'd reach for something with a light pattern (think stitching) or a slightly different hue/texture. Adds some visual interest and breaks the continuity that I think makes it look off. Kind of like matching a ps to a tie.
    Last edited by dangerpenguin; December 5th, 2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    737 Post(s)

Personally I always use a suede belt and just recently took it one step further with a suede watch strap. No need to do it if you dont want to, but I like it! My suggestion if you want a suede belt is wait for the suitsupply outlet next month, there is almost always a good cheap suede belt in there for about $25.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    @Token the thought behind it is actually exactly what @dangerpenguin said: that wearing a suede belt with suede shoes gives off a really matchy-matchy vibe, kinda similar to when people's outfits are overly color-coded.
    Got it, thanks for the info. The rule against matching tie to PS makes sense to me because it draws attention away from the face; and in general I think that people don't like things being too matchy-matchy when it distracts from an overall outfit. I could see the matchy matchy thing being an issue if you're wearing blue suede shoes with a matching blue suede belt (or in this case even if it's calf) since the color + the material make it flashier, but if you're wearing dark brown suede monks like the above with a dark brown suede belt I think it's perfectly fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    @Token Absolutely! Probably wouldn't be my personal preference, but it's a pretty loose 'rule' as far as I know.
    Duncan