Page 541 of 635 FirstFirst ... 41441491531539540541542543551591 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,410 of 6344

Thread: Recent Purchases

  1. #5401
    Super Moderator hornsup84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,672
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)


    AE for Club Monaco in brown "snuff" suede. Finally found a pair of monks and a suede shoe that works for me, on sale no less, so I'm extremely pleased.

    Now, what belt does one wear with these? Do I need a suede belt?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #5402
    Varsity Member dangerpenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    AE for Club Monaco in brown "snuff" suede. Finally found a pair of monks and a suede shoe that works for me, on sale no less, so I'm extremely pleased.

    Now, what belt does one wear with these? Do I need a suede belt?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice grab! I wouldn't do a suede belt personally -- I have a similar shade of double monks from BR that I tried matching a suede belt to and it was a little over the top/matchy matchy. Instead, I wear them with a dark leather belt and the leather/suede combo looks just fine. Not aware of any faux pas or fault in pairing the two, either.

  3. #5403
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    @hornsup84 @dangerpenguin I have no experience with suede belts personally, but all that I've read on the main site suggests that not only is wearing suede shoes without a suede belt okay (and vice versa), but one should always wear them separately.
    Duncan

    I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

  4. #5404
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminado View Post
    @hornsup84 @dangerpenguin I have no experience with suede belts personally, but all that I've read on the main site suggests that not only is wearing suede shoes without a suede belt okay (and vice versa), but one should always wear them separately.
    I agree that it's fine to wear non-suede belt with suede shoes, but I've never heard of a rule to always wear them separately. What's the reasoning behind that?

  5. #5405
    Super Moderator hornsup84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,672
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerpenguin View Post
    Nice grab! I wouldn't do a suede belt personally -- I have a similar shade of double monks from BR that I tried matching a suede belt to and it was a little over the top/matchy matchy. Instead, I wear them with a dark leather belt and the leather/suede combo looks just fine. Not aware of any faux pas or fault in pairing the two, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminado View Post
    @hornsup84 @dangerpenguin I have no experience with suede belts personally, but all that I've read on the main site suggests that not only is wearing suede shoes without a suede belt okay (and vice versa), but one should always wear them separately.
    Thanks both - I am leaning toward not getting any matching belt (although I do like matching belts--as I have matching for most of my AE shoes, except bourbon which I cover with my normal brown belt). For suede, since they're so distinctive, seems like it'd be taking the matching leather a bit too far. I'll prob just stick with my dark brown calf belt for now. I do like the idea of getting a more casual brown belt to potentially pair with the suede (among other casual looks), maybe something with a weave or other texture.

  6. #5406
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    @Token the thought behind it is actually exactly what @dangerpenguin said: that wearing a suede belt with suede shoes gives off a really matchy-matchy vibe, kinda similar to when people's outfits are overly color-coded.
    Duncan

    I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

  7. #5407
    Varsity Member dangerpenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Thanks both - I am leaning toward not getting any matching belt (although I do like matching belts--as I have matching for most of my AE shoes, except bourbon which I cover with my normal brown belt). For suede, since they're so distinctive, seems like it'd be taking the matching leather a bit too far. I'll prob just stick with my dark brown calf belt for now. I do like the idea of getting a more casual brown belt to potentially pair with the suede (among other casual looks), maybe something with a weave or other texture.
    If you do go suede, I'd reach for something with a light pattern (think stitching) or a slightly different hue/texture. Adds some visual interest and breaks the continuity that I think makes it look off. Kind of like matching a ps to a tie.
    Last edited by dangerpenguin; December 5th, 2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Clarity.

  8. #5408
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,743
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    737 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post


    AE for Club Monaco in brown "snuff" suede. Finally found a pair of monks and a suede shoe that works for me, on sale no less, so I'm extremely pleased.

    Now, what belt does one wear with these? Do I need a suede belt?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Personally I always use a suede belt and just recently took it one step further with a suede watch strap. No need to do it if you dont want to, but I like it! My suggestion if you want a suede belt is wait for the suitsupply outlet next month, there is almost always a good cheap suede belt in there for about $25.

  9. #5409
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminado View Post
    @Token the thought behind it is actually exactly what @dangerpenguin said: that wearing a suede belt with suede shoes gives off a really matchy-matchy vibe, kinda similar to when people's outfits are overly color-coded.
    Got it, thanks for the info. The rule against matching tie to PS makes sense to me because it draws attention away from the face; and in general I think that people don't like things being too matchy-matchy when it distracts from an overall outfit. I could see the matchy matchy thing being an issue if you're wearing blue suede shoes with a matching blue suede belt (or in this case even if it's calf) since the color + the material make it flashier, but if you're wearing dark brown suede monks like the above with a dark brown suede belt I think it's perfectly fine.

  10. #5410
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    @Token Absolutely! Probably wouldn't be my personal preference, but it's a pretty loose 'rule' as far as I know.
    Duncan

    I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •