Page 522 of 624 FirstFirst ... 22422472512520521522523524532572622 ... LastLast
Results 5,211 to 5,220 of 6236

Thread: Recent Purchases

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Ordered a new Steinhart watch, along with an OEM mesh bracelet to put it on. Thinking about buying a chocolate suede strap as well. Pics borrowed.

This is only my second biggish watch purchase of the year (after my Nomos in January). So I guess I'm doing ok compared to previous years... last year I acquired two Omegas, a Rolex the year before that
    Congrats, those will look great. Did you decide this route vs. BBN because of the BBN being too large/bulky? (no clue what size the Steinharts are).

And as to your watch purchase rationalization, I'm with you. Last year was Rolex, early this year I jumped on a Speedy where the right one came to market... I was going to try to make it the rest of my year to keep with my one/yr pseudo-policy, but may be talking myself into a dressier watch that my gf can also wear... so it doesn't break my policy, since it's sort of for her, right? Regardless, both the Speedy and the next purchase will still be at or under what I paid for my SD4k, so I feel like I'm still ok-ish.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)
    @hornsup84, I briefly owned a Black Bay Blue a couple years ago and even though it's only 41mm, I couldn't get past the inelegance of the super chunky/slab-like case shape. To me, the case shape on the BB actually really undermines the otherwise faithful, vintage aesthetic of the watch.

The Steinhart divers are technically bigger (42mm and 51-52mm lug length) but have a more streamlined case shape, and I've been happy with my Ocean One GMT despite how big it wears. I'm not sure the Steinhart is actually any better than the BB in terms of size/wearability but in any case I'm willing to give a lot more leeway to a $500 watch vs. a $3k watch. The Steinhart hits all the right style cues for me, isn't worse than the BB in terms of size, and is a helluva lot cheaper so I feel pretty good about "settling" in this instance.
    Ben

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    @hornsup84, I briefly owned a Black Bay Blue a couple years ago and even though it's only 41mm, I couldn't get past the inelegance of the super chunky/slab-like case shape. To me, the case shape on the BB actually really undermines the otherwise faithful, vintage aesthetic of the watch.

The Steinhart divers are technically bigger (42mm and 51-52mm lug length) but have a more streamlined case shape, and I've been happy with my Ocean One GMT despite how big it wears. I'm not sure the Steinhart is actually any better than the BB in terms of size/wearability but in any case I'm willing to give a lot more leeway to a $500 watch vs. a $3k watch. The Steinhart hits all the right style cues for me, isn't worse than the BB in terms of size, and is a helluva lot cheaper so I feel pretty good about "settling" in this instance.
    Makes sense to me. I'm not really sure I could go much bigger than my SD for a regular wear watch, although I may jump up in size if I wind up getting a Tudor Pelagos (love me some blue) at some point. At this point, I'm contemplated a vintage 36mm DJ 16014 that would be a dressier once-in-a-while watch. I'll be curious to try on my wrist -- definitely smaller than my normal wears which clock at 40mm (SD) and 42mm (Speedy), both of which are thicker than the DJ too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)
    With today's sale at JCF (free shipping no minimum, 35% off everything, 50% off clearance), just got this shirt for ~$10 and chambray dress pants for ~$17

https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...red-faded-blue

https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...romSearch=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    Good sale. Got a few suttons for $15 a pop this morning

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)

Recent Purchases

Not winning the Allen Edmonds Liverpool left a Chelsea boot sized hole in my heart, so I gave in and ordered a pair of C&J Chelsea 3s. With VAT reduction and the weak GBP, it was actually cheaper than the liverpool, but I guess that the liverpool will go on sale eventually (or show up in shoebank)
    Last edited by Token; August 26th, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Not winning the Allen Edmonds Liverpool left a Chelsea boot sized hole in my heart, so I gave in and ordered a pair of C&J Chelsea 3s. With VAT reduction and the weak GBP, it was actually cheaper than the liverpool, but I guess that the liverpool will go on sale eventually (or show up in shoebank)
    Where did you get em from?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgfarb View Post
    Where did you get em from?
    Macsamillion, summer sale and 10% off first purchase right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    I don't make it Stateside very often, so I had a lot of shopping to do for the wife and son. But I did manage to sneak a few things for myself.

New pair of Levi's 508s and a couple of knit ties:

The big score (for me): Barbour Beauly, size medium, reg $399. Found it on the XXL rack of Macy's clearance area. Price tag had it reduced to $135, but when the cashier rang it through, she told me they had an extra 40% off clearance items. $81!!

Went back and hunted through the clearance racks some more, and also picked up an RLP blue gingham linen shirt. Again size medium, and again hiding out on the XXL rack.

Also got a new Merkur safety razor on sale and some Smartwool no-shows (as well as stocking up on some single malts). Overall, a very productive trip!

Not really a purchase, but a company did send me one of their linen suits to review. Very nice, except for the sleeves which are about an inch too long. But ... functioning cuff buttons. So I'll need to see what I can do about that.