Page 491 of 625 FirstFirst ... 391441481489490491492493501541591 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,910 of 6242

Thread: Recent Purchases

  1. #4901
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,761
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Gent View Post
    First time poster here and I was hoping to get some opinions from you fine fellows this recent purchase - Just picked up a BB fitzgerald fit blazer in charcoal plaid during their recent hautelook event. Really liked the pic online but now that I've got it I'm on the fence if I want to keep it. It's a charcoal base with light gray windowpane and some subtle plaid patterns. Would love to hear your thoughts/comments.

    Thanks in advance.
    Charcoal as a sport coat is tough to pull off. Some think it looks fine but it can more often than not look like you grabbed a suit coat instead of a stand alone coat. It is really up to you but it is hard to find pants that look good with gray sport coats. It is hard to tell from your picture the true color without some natural light.

  2. #4902
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,487
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Charcoal as a sport coat is tough to pull off.
    Color is just one part of the equation. Material/texture, pattern, and construction can all make a jacket look more or less like a suit jacket or a true sportcoat. I have a jacket in a charcoal tweed herringbone that is one of the more versatile odd jackets I own. But a structured, solid charcoal jacket in smooth worsted wool would never look like anything but an orphaned suit jacket.

    Whether the jacket in question can stand on its own as an odd jacket is hard to tell. The bolder pattern helps, but the jacket design and construction is quite suit-like (e.g. structured shoulders, flap pockets instead of patch pockets, etc). Hard to tell if the material has much of a texture.
    Ben

  3. #4903
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Gent View Post
    First time poster here and I was hoping to get some opinions from you fine fellows this recent purchase - Just picked up a BB fitzgerald fit blazer in charcoal plaid during their recent hautelook event. Really liked the pic online but now that I've got it I'm on the fence if I want to keep it. It's a charcoal base with light gray windowpane and some subtle plaid patterns. Would love to hear your thoughts/comments.



    Thanks in advance.
    I like it. It's a little bold because it's charcoal and patterned. Charcoal gives a lot of contrast and patterns catch your eye; and there is a lot of contrast between the pattern and the color.

    All that said, I like that from time to time, but you need to be confident in pulling it off. It will be hard to find the right trousers to wear with it, but it looks like the khaki works.

    If you don't love it or feel good in it, then consider what you spent and put that towards something you do love, even if that's saving a little more and getting something down the road.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

  4. #4904
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Gent View Post
    First time poster here and I was hoping to get some opinions from you fine fellows this recent purchase - Just picked up a BB fitzgerald fit blazer in charcoal plaid during their recent hautelook event. Really liked the pic online but now that I've got it I'm on the fence if I want to keep it. It's a charcoal base with light gray windowpane and some subtle plaid patterns. Would love to hear your thoughts/comments.



    Thanks in advance.
    Looks well-made. If you like it enough for what you paid for it, then by all means keep it and probably shorten the sleeves.
    However if you're struggling to think of enough ways to wear it, I'd return it.

    I agree with them above about charcoal sportcoats: they're difficult to act as blazers, even if they have larger noticeable patterns. It's even harder if the shoulders are strongly structured.
    If you feel the shoulder is soft enough, you could pair/style this jacket with colorful chinos and a casual solid shirt, assuming they fit really well.

    All in all, I'd say unless you got it on very deep clearance, I'd return it.

  5. #4905
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,761
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Color is just one part of the equation. Material/texture, pattern, and construction can all make a jacket look more or less like a suit jacket or a true sportcoat. I have a jacket in a charcoal tweed herringbone that is one of the more versatile odd jackets I own. But a structured, solid charcoal jacket in smooth worsted wool would never look like anything but an orphaned suit jacket.

    Whether the jacket in question can stand on its own as an odd jacket is hard to tell. The bolder pattern helps, but the jacket design and construction is quite suit-like (e.g. structured shoulders, flap pockets instead of patch pockets, etc). Hard to tell if the material has much of a texture.
    Brooks Brothers has some great patterns and fabrics but they stick with their tried and true structure which makes buying from them a challenge. Their Red Fleece line went too close to their Thom Browne inspired Black Fleece line so I usually overlook BB unless I am thinking of a tweed jacket but then they are sold out in my size by the time I look.

    Also after giving your pattern/texture/material some thought, charcoal seems to work better in the F/W wardrobe than the S/S.

  6. #4906
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Really appreciate it. After reading your responses and giving it some more thought I think I will end up returning it. It does seem like it will be a little tricky to pair and I'd rather save my closet space for more versatile pieces. At least I learned that the BB Fitzgerald line fits my frame pretty well straight OTR.

    Thanks again!

  7. #4907
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)
    https://www.jcrew.com/p/06404

    JC clearance has some cashmere scarves for $30, patterned and solids. Received the linked one today, really great quality.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #4908
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,711
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1402 Post(s)
    Thanks! So from what I gathered in looking a the posts, the watch costs about $3,000 USD. Would that be accurate? And I'm guessing the watch could be tracked down on the used market too. Somewhere...

  9. #4909
    Super Moderator hornsup84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,672
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Thanks! So from what I gathered in looking a the posts, the watch costs about $3,000 USD. Would that be accurate? And I'm guessing the watch could be tracked down on the used market too. Somewhere...
    I'm no expert on Omegas, or that model in particular, but I imagine you could get it used for under USD3k. A quick google tells me it's no longer in production.

    Particulars of a random listing for it: http://www.watchvaultnyc.com/Omega-S...380_p_187.html

    (for what it's worth, I had a good experience w that seller on my Speedy)

  10. #4910
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)
    New batch of squares from Gagliardi! Love these things. On a sidenote, they raised the price of their PS by two euros


    Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •