Page 23 of 624 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123523 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Purchases

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

It's a pet peeve when people misuse the word "investment". Like the guy at the jewelry store trying to tell you that it's ok if you buy a bigger ring than you should because it will only go up in value over time so it's an "investment". It's not an "investment" unless (a) it appreciates in value and (b) you intend to sell it someday. Otherwise, it's an "expense". :-P It just seems that people often justify purchases with that word when it's totally irrelevant.

Other things that aren't investments:
    <ul>[*]Cars (except classics)[*]The last home you ever buy[*]Most home remodeling projects[/list]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Its like a car, when you drive it off the lot, its automatically worth less. Unless of course it is a collectors edition, or has some other value increasing property that 99.9999% of cars dont have. Thats what he meant. You will surely never get back what you paid for it. Good clothing may have some resale value, and the better the clothing, the better that resale value is (same as with cars), but you still "lose" money in the end.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)

@Alan -- those things can be investments... they're just really, really bad ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay, I understand. Everybody has their pet peeves. I certainly get the concept. Still fresh at this so I'm going with the knowledge I have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Raw denim is unwashed and the indigo dye is kind of caked on the outside of the cotton fibers. Over time the dye flakes off where it's worn so you get nice wear patterns that are customized to your body and how you wear them. They also feel stiff and cool to the touch. Half of the aesthetic of selvage is cuffing the jeans to show the self-edge of the fabric, so being a little long is okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Been trying to use up my Bonobos store credit so bought these:

Ernest Alexander Henry Hunter Olive

http://www.bonobos.com/ernest-alexan...y-hunter-olive

Been searching for a work bag for a while now and got this one when it went on sale a few days ago. My office is casual so this is nicer than what most people carry...backpacks.

Bonobos Lime Rickey

http://www.bonobos.com/po-8766-bonob...d-casual-shirt

I really like the fit on this shirt...more fitted than their Oxfords. The colors look much nicer in person too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Did you use any sale codes on them? I'm gonna be ordering some washed chinos and I want to get them as cheap as possible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

@Jason - I created a new Bonobos account under my wife's e-mail address and used code EFFORTLESSGENT for 20% off. Plus I had some Bonobos store credit from the Fab.com deal, so I applied them to the new account. If you follow them on Twitter they will send you a code for $15 off $75.

You can also create a new account with another e-mail address and get $25 off $75 with the referral code below that I got when I made the purchase:

http://curebit.com/x/mAjfx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

How do you move store credit to a new account? I've got some already on the site that I wanted to use. I just went and followed them on Twitter... How do they send you the code?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I received the Twitter code via e-mail. I don't think you can move credit to a new account if you already redeemed it. I had Fab credits that I had not redeemed yet.