Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Seriously. I have food routines. I have Five Guy's burgers every Friday. Hot Chocolate and fresh baked cookies on Wednesdays. Coke and an Italian sub on Saturday. Steak and fish on Sundays. It is just so freakin' good to have good food.

I just can't understand such a statement. Who doesn't like pancakes and syrup? And, oooh the pies.

Damn it! *rushes out the door to get spaghetti and meatballs with Italian knot bread because this thread made me so hungry*

EDIT: Phew. Not as bad as I thought. I am not a morning person either. Pancakes at noon are far more appealing to me than pancakes before 11AM. I also prefer eating out or picking something up over cooking almost always.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

One of my favourite things to do with the Mrs. is to just go to the local market, without even the slightest clue what were going to look for, and put a meal together. Its amazing what you can think up when you just go in looking for whatever is fresh/on sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know. For some reason, I can't do sweet things for breakfast until after 10. Eggs are amazing early in the morning, and even better once you find out that it only takes about 5 minutes to make two fried eggs if you know what you're doing (and you can make toast at the same time).

And Cannon, your routines sound so amazing, I might have to steal a few of them...

I tend to spend way too much money on lunch since one of my bus stops is right next to a cookie stand. So I tend to add that to whatever lunch I have.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)

I usually eat cereal or oatmeal in yogurt, but I'm a big fan of the 30-second omelette for breakfast, as well.

http://youtu.be/LWmvfUKwBrg

I like to add a bit of sriracha, sometimes some cheese, leftover cooked veggies, etc.

Watching Julia Child on Youtube, and then subsequently buying DVDs of The French Chef, is actually what inspired me to start cooking "real" food.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I love food and I love to cook. Great food doesn't have to be time or labour intensive.

Last night's dinner:

Seared Blue Snapper fillets with Soy sauce, honey and sesame. Sauteed Broccoli Rabe with garlic and Pecorino cheese.

5 mins prep. The broccoli took 8 mins (5 mins Blanche, 3 mins saute) The snapper took 3 mins a side. A quick squeeze of lemon and serve. Not complicated at all.

I would highly recommend How To Cook Everything to both beginners and advanced cooks. Mark Bittman is a great writer and covers so many topics, it is fast becoming my food bible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think the correlation comes in because most people who are into style/fashion are interested in the arts in general. I'm a musician, filmmaker, graphic designer and, yes, I love to cook. In other words, I'm a dilettante.

Before my metabolism failed me, I used to be great at making more decadent cuisine, but now that I'm a lot more fitness conscious, I've had to get more creative with my dishes. It's certainly a lot more challenging to make grilled salmon and mixed greens appealing than it is to make a dish with a slab of foie gras and black truffles...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@kinojay33 Yeah, if you have the creativity to develop and appreciate style, then you also might have those same interests and abilities with food and other craft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

And then there is Batali:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, there are always exceptions to the rule....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love to cook. When I cook for someone for the first time they are pleasantly surprised. I like controlling the ingredients.