Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Do not wear brown shoes with a black suit"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Can y'all explain this rule to me?

I've seen many people wear brown(think earth colored; moderately dark or darker) shoes with black suits. Do any of you break this "rule"? Is it referring to solid black suits only? I thought that wearing brown would add some edge to the look because black shoes are too boring.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)

he's dead dude... you see that horse over there? the one you're practicing your Happy Gilmore swing on? HE'S DEAD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

1) black suits are for undertakers and FBI agents

2) I'm not much of a believer in the "no black and brown, together" rule, but I generally don't break it. Why? Because it is one of the only style rules that they average guy is likely to know. The general public won't see it as a calculated style risk (unless maybe you are peacocking it up otherwise... pocket squares, colorful socks, lapel pins, etc). They will assume you didn't know. People on styleforum might be impressed if you pull it off well, but your boss won't.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

There needs to be a miscellaneous tips/rules thread. Oh wait, there is.

Perhaps we could share our rules on these scenarios here?: http://threads.dappered.com/topic/your-style-rules#post-1975

Ignore that if you want, but I figure that if you have a layout for some rules, feel free to drop them there and let us know your mentality on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does black with pinstripes count as a "black suit"?

If someone could elaborate as to why the rule exists, I'd very much appreciate that

I was reading this article: http://www.primermagazine.com/2012/learn/style-qa-dark-brown-wingtips-with-a-black-suit-at-a-formal-occasion

and he says brown with black is good to go for business. I don't know much about primer mag, but I only dress up for business. Another thing is, I've read that if paired with another brown item, such as a belt/pocket square/wrist watch, brown shoes work.

Is it just me or does this look great?

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/84eec5f7.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just checked my suit; turns out that it is a very dark grey, bordering black. I had an odd black jacket hanging next to it to compare to and sure enough, it wasn't black.

Varsity Member nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I remember that Primer article, but my take-away was that you essentially shouldn't wear brown shoes with a black suit.

Black = formal. So black suit, black shoes. Stays consistent. Anything else would be weird when your eyes catch the feet. And if you're wearing a black suit, you're probably at an event where standing out is not the plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I wouldn't break this one... but I also wouldn't wear a black suit. Black suits are for funerals. Black pinstripe suits are for jazz funerals.

Charcoal or other gray is a whole other ballgame though. Not sure why but it just looks different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I always hear people say, "chew your food before you swallow." Can someone please explain this rule to me?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

forbritisheyesonly, that picture you linked is also dark charcoal, just as an FYI.