Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Do not wear brown shoes with a black suit"

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Most of these "rules" are just historical traditions or conventions, and if you're on a men's style forum and see a lot of fervor about following the rule, it's because, well, you're on a men's style forum. The reasoning behind the brown shoes/black suit convention is well-documented so I won't rehash it, but ultimately you can wear what you want.

You might not look bad, but for me it's not so much a matter of "you look bad if you break this rule" as it is "you just look better if you do". That is, a casual observer wouldn't notice your color clashing and consciously think "that guy doesn't know how to dress", but between that and a dark charcoal suit with burgundy oxfords, that casual observer would probably say the latter looks better without really verbalizing why.

We could talk about this all day long, but ultimately if someone likes wearing something they can and should wear it, and shouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks. Either you learn the rule, agree with the reasoning behind it, and follow it, or you say "eff this" and do your own thing.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)

I'm with Chareth -- that suit is a charcoal with what looks to be a brown/tan pinstripe. I have a similar suit that I pair with my darker brown shoes or black shoes, depending on the day/mood and shirt/tie.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It should be impossible to break this rule if you refrain from buying a black suit to begin with.

(I'm not a fan of black suits.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Chareth

Thanks for pointing it out. I did notice it, but only subconsciously =] Since I wear shoes of very similar color with a suit that is SLIGHTLY darker than that, I'm assuming it is okay.

What do y'all think of a shiny grey suit for business? In general?

The one I'm looking at is at a B&M store and looks VERY similar to this:

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Sh...tml?rcmndsrc=2

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

@forbritisheyesonly: It depends on the shiny suit. Are we talking about a sharkskin, optical illusion sort of shiny? Or are we talking about polyester shiny? The one you linked to is polyester and looks pretty cheap to me. I wouldn't put it beyond H&M to sell a polyester suit, either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Depends on your business... Are you a club DJ, a drug dealer, or a third world dictator?

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Alan:

The suit is made of "65% Dacron/35% Viscose"; coincidentally, it seems to be the same material that my other suit is made of. I think it is SharkSkin; it says wrinkle resistant or something similar to that. I've looked but no cigar. Is there a particular way to tell if it is made of polyester?

@Jason: REAL Business =] As in office/corporate suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

There's no natural fibers there... That's not a good place to be. Sharkskin is a particular weave of wool, so that's not sharkskin.

I was hinting that the only "business" for which a shiny suit would be "appropriate" is one of those unsavory businesses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, Jason. I'll go look for a more conventional grey. For my situation, do you think lighter or darker is more appropriate?