Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have to size up on Levi's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I had not purchased Levi's in a long time and recently ordered a few pairs in my regular size (32x32), but they were too tight. I've been buying all my jeans from Gap and BR, so I had no recent experience with Levi's. All my other pants (including jeans, cords, dress slacks and chinos) are 32 waist. Do Levi's run small on the waist?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

Not really in my experience. What Levi fit are you buying? I'm true to size in 514. Then again, I would say that Gap runs a little large. Perhaps this is a matter of semantics.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

They will stretch some. If you haven't bought jeans in a while, you might have stretched your old ones out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I always size down 1-2 sizes for any denim, as the waist tends to stretch an inch or so after a few wears. This coupled with massive vanity sizes that Levi's uses (size 30 usually measures out to a 31.5 or 32" waist) is grounds for my ridiculous waist sizes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I bought 514 and 501.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I'd watch out for the skinnier cut jeans though, like the 511. I sized up 1 size to 31 when I bought mine and it still felt a little tight on me.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)

I'd say my average size across the board is 31x30, but in my Levi's 514s I'm a 32x30. I think 501 might be more true to size but the only ones I have are the shrink-to-fits, which I think might be a little wonky anyway. Sometimes GAP brand stuff is sized large - I can sometimes fit in 30x30 in GAP/BR/ON.

Ben

Varsity Member nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I wear 32x34 everything, including the Levi 501. Only time that's run too large in the waist was with the ON slim fit cords, which I fixed with a hot water wash. So, I feel they're true to size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

34x30 for everything -514, LEC, jcrew, BR, old navy. But 33w for bonobos.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The issue isn't that you necessarily need size up on Levi's, it's more that you have to size down less.

My true waist is a tape measured 33", but at BR, Gap, ON, LEC, and JC, I have to buy a 31. To get the same fit I get 32s at Levis.

The only mainstream brand I've ever experienced that were genuinely true to size is Brooks Brothers where I wear a 33. Vanity sizing is a pretty well known phenomenon in clothing.