Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie You Saw...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I know some forums do this sort of thing in their 'Other' sections, so I figure I would see how it goes here. Basically, you post the title of the most recent film you watched, either in theaters or at home, then post a few sentences or more that tell us what you thought of it. It doesn't have to be a thorough review. It could just be about a couple things you enjoyed with it.

I'll go first:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

I went in thinking it would be odd and maybe slightly shallow as it was Hollywood insisting on making films despite the novels having already recently been adapted, and well-received at that.

But I was wrong.

First off. The opening titles were like a wild version of a Bond opening. Very interesting and a good way for the film to make a clean slate on its own terms. Don't watch it on YouTube until you've already seen it with the film.

I went in thinking Craig would get the attention and I wasn't really believing the glimpses of Rooney Mara in previews, but it ended up being a great duo. Mara is fantastic with a vulnerability under her edgy and seemingly unapproachable outside. Craig plays the intelligent, but beat up journalist great. The film is dark considering the audience I had assumed it was for, being mainstream adults. I can't emphasize enough how much I enjoyed this movie due largely to how unusual it is for many films to go as far as it did in its scenes of importance.

I loved the visual style, with almost no greens on the screen. Reds popped because of their rareness in the scenes as well. Reminded me of The Dark Knight with cold blues and grays dominating and the highlighting of gorgeous warm lights in the Swedish snow-covered houses. It was a clear, cold look that added to the atmosphere alongside the music.

The story, as many know, is great and it translated well here. Despite being around 2hr 40m, I didn't find myself checking my watch once. I loved that it didn't feel American. There was an intriguing European winter feel that added to the great mystery, characters, and intelligence as it moved along. I couldn't help but love the darkness that joined the well-told tale.

So far, Sony recently announced that they are satisfied with performance and hope to start filming The Girl Who Played With Fire by the end of 2012.

If dark, bleak, and long films don't bother you, I really recommend this one. I think its critical praise is well-earned.

So there. Mine was longer, but I am sure if this keeps going I will have shorter ones too. Hope you guys feel like joining in on this 'Other' category thread so we can get a little more out of each other.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Dolphin Tale...

It was an agreement I made with my wife. I agreed to watch that if she would watch Cowboys and Aliens with me. To put it simply, the whole movie is pretty much explained in the preview. There are no surprises (not that you need any). But the whole movie can be (and pretty much is) boiled down into the preview. In and of itself, though, it was a fine movie that I don't regret seeing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

Over Christmas, my brother brought home some screener DVDs, and my wife and I watched Midnight in Paris and Descendants. Both are HIGHLY recommended. Descendants is sad, but it's really, really, really well done.

The other one we watched, Young Adult, is not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fracture

An older one but still a good one. Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling both give great performances. A solid court room drama/thriller. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

a couple of dvds (yeah, i'm a couple of years behind on the tech stuff

Attack the block: Think super 8 with blood, rough up kids, and a poor neighborhood. It was non-sense fun.

Midnight in Paris: Awesome, loved the settings, the plot,and Owen Wilson was great in it (I don't like him in 99% of the movies, but that one is an exception). Great movie to watch with your SO.

Rise of the planet of the apes: It was good. Can't say I remember much about the original (saw it as a kid), but this "prequel" sets things up pretty neatly.

The Boy with the striped pajamas: Poignant!

Tried to watch:

Human Centipede: Even on a drunken night with buddies, I couldn't watch it.

Want to watch:

Girl with a dragon tattoo: have read the trilogy, seen the Sweden version (with the tvish sequels), and the remake has great reviews. Hollywood seems better at making EU remakes than Asian remakes...

MI: Ghost Protocol: That one is a maybe. 1st was great, second was good, 3rd was meh...but still might see the fourth one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Mission Impossible on back to back nights last week. It was interesting seeing the difference between what the spy biz is really like as opposed to its more romanticized, Hollywood version. Anyway..

TTSS: Really enjoyed it. Slowly paced, but the acting was terrific and Alfredson did a good job to make a strong movie out of a complex story where virtually nothing happens but people sitting and talking in rooms and drinking whisky. Although the movie does you no favors if you're not familiar with the story or spy-speak. Don't be surprised if you're confused during and after by everything. It's still really good.

MI4: Nothing if not entertaining. Tom Cruise is as annoying as ever, but it's visually a pretty gripping movie. The spy/action tactics are pretty ingenious (like climbing the windows of the Burj Kalifa) but of course highly implausible. This is probably a movie that benefits from being seen in theaters - IMAX if you can - instead of at home.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)

Sherlock Holmes 2 - Guy Ritchie slow motion fight scene overload. Grade: C or C-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Shame.

It was amazing, but definitely not a feel-good movie. Heavy on the skin. Fassbender is a great actor who will be doing more phenomenal work soon.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

The Descendants

Lovely movie, perhaps my favorite from George Clooney. It captures the Hawaii vibe well, while conveying the adult emotions faced by the main family. It was much sweeter than I expected and managed plenty of smiles despite it being about quite a raincloud over their heads. I thought the acting was good, especially the chemistry between Clooney and Shailene Woodley, the older daughter.

The movie managed to have an air of paradise that kept the pace and interest up. I really liked the style and story. At the end of it all, I just thought it was heartfelt and peaceful and dealt well with the feelings of life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Gran Torino on TV.

True Grit in theaters.