Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dappered Whole 30 Group

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Dappered Whole 30 Group

Inspired by the Gals' recent post and my desire to get fit for my wedding and generally not be such a fat fuck, I've decided to try out this thing out and see what I learn. I'm curious if others may be interested in trying this journey as well? Obviously this won't be a "let's all start on this date" endeavor, as we all have different responsibilities and obligations ahead, but if you are interested in starting in the next few weeks or have done it let me know. We can use this thread to share experiences, challenges, recipes etc. Generally just help each other out. If you're not interested in participating but want to watch me catalog my misery, that's cool too.

What I don't want this thread to become is a debate about the merits of paleo, gluten sensitivity or what have you. The point is, I need to make a change in my life and I think 30 days of a drastic change can help me jump start it. Maybe you do to. Cheers to all.
    Dress for style, live for results.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    I've been wanting to do whole 30 for a while, but my wife isn't on board. If only I could convince her...I think I just need to make a week's worth of meal plans so she can see the variety...but I would be very interestd to hear about your journey!!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomservo View Post
    Inspired by the Gals' recent post and my desire to get fit for my wedding and generally not be such a fat fuck, I've decided to try out this thing out and see what I learn. I'm curious if others may be interested in trying this journey as well? Obviously this won't be a "let's all start on this date" endeavor, as we all have different responsibilities and obligations ahead, but if you are interested in starting in the next few weeks or have done it let me know. We can use this thread to share experiences, challenges, recipes etc. Generally just help each other out. If you're not interested in participating but want to watch me catalog my misery, that's cool too.

What I don't want this thread to become is a debate about the merits of paleo, gluten sensitivity or what have you. The point is, I need to make a change in my life and I think 30 days of a drastic change can help me jump start it. Maybe you do to. Cheers to all.
    This is timely. My wife is ultra-fit whereas I am active, but a chainsmoking butterball so I am about five days into some six-week program she gave me (her subtle way of sending me to fat camp). I don't pretend to understand it but it's intensely protein heavy and there's weights involved.

I haven't had a carbohydrate in those five days. The first two or three days I had a headache and my cranium felt like a furnace. I thought I was getting sick but suspect it's due to the diet change?

My biggest fear is having to replace my clothes if I lose too much weight. Completely irrational. I got a major work promotion last year and my first thought was not about the raise in salary but ruing the fact I wouldn't be able to wear my knit ties anymore.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Cutting carbs out completely is a foolish move for many reasons. We need healthy carbs, not donuts and a loaf of white bread, but healthy carbs to function. Cutting carbs completely get you to lose weight but drastic calorie cutting leads to your metabolism shutting down.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    I can't buy into a program which advocates the elimination of legumes or dairy - that's losing out on good, cheap sources of protein.

I'd rather go the route of Lyle McDonald's programs or Intermittent fasting instead buying into the whole 30 gospel.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    I have to admit, despite my feelings on most of these food related trends (I roll my eyes at all of them), I find myself intrigued. Mostly the ability to then reintroduce types of foods one at a time and see their effect on your body. With some digestive health issues running in my family, it would be nice to know if certain foods play a role in that or not.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I was also intrigued by the post. I agree that losing whole grains, dairy, and legumes would be the biggest hit to my usual eating style.

Breakfast is the meal that I have the hardest time coming up with suitable, quick replacements for. Yes, i could fry or scramble eggs, but I usually don't light the stove in the bleary hours.

I suppose you could just eat a handful of nuts and fruit and call it a day...

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    I'm doing something similar to the Whole30 as a 6 week challenge via my gym. There are some variations in the program I'm following, but it's very similar. I'm on day 5 and so far, so good. I don't really get cravings for sweets or bread most of the time, so cutting that stuff out isn't too big a burden for me. What's been rougher than I expected is cutting out dairy, which I've never done before, even when I've experimented with very low carb diets.

One positive benefit that I've noticed is that I haven't felt a nagging elbow tendonitis (golfer's elbow - though I've never golfed) that has bugged me for years. It usually isn't very bad, but it's always present at some low level at least. I can help it by making sure I warm up my shoulders and elbows well before working out. Even then I definitely feel it after pull ups or (especially) chin ups, and on some days it's there with no apparent cause or connection. But I haven't felt it a bit over the last five days and I've done plenty of the exercises that I can rely on to aggravate it. It could be unconnected to the diet - part of the challenge is a daily focus on stretching and mobility work - but a lot of what I've cut out is supposed to promote inflammation, so I'm guessing the dietary changes are contributing at least somewhat.

In any event, I'm pretty pleased five days in. Good luck to anyone else hopping on board the diet train. If you run across any particularly delicious recipes, let us know.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittiwake30 View Post
    My wife is ultra-fit whereas I am active, but a chainsmoking butterball...
    You're doing it right!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    I'm doing something similar to the Whole30 as a 6 week challenge via my gym. There are some variations in the program I'm following, but it's very similar. I'm on day 5 and so far, so good. I don't really get cravings for sweets or bread most of the time, so cutting that stuff out isn't too big a burden for me. What's been rougher than I expected is cutting out dairy, which I've never done before, even when I've experimented with very low carb diets.

One positive benefit that I've noticed is that I haven't felt a nagging elbow tendonitis (golfer's elbow - though I've never golfed) that has bugged me for years. It usually isn't very bad, but it's always present at some low level at least. I can help it by making sure I warm up my shoulders and elbows well before working out. Even then I definitely feel it after pull ups or (especially) chin ups, and on some days it's there with no apparent cause or connection. But I haven't felt it a bit over the last five days and I've done plenty of the exercises that I can rely on to aggravate it. It could be unconnected to the diet - part of the challenge is a daily focus on stretching and mobility work - but a lot of what I've cut out is supposed to promote inflammation, so I'm guessing the dietary changes are contributing at least somewhat.

In any event, I'm pretty pleased five days in. Good luck to anyone else hopping on board the diet train. If you run across any particularly delicious recipes, let us know.
    This inflammation aspect is what caught my attention. I eat pretty healthy already so something like the Whole30 would not take a lot to change other than coffee after food. I may take out some foods to see if things go away and add them back if not but I am not doing 30 days of cutting a whole lot out.

Paleo confuses me due to some of the restrictions and then some items they allow.