Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie You Saw...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@MaxMan I hear the book is better due to its inclusion of far more interesting details, but the film is pretty good nonetheless. I understand that it is best to read the book first on this one because without it, the importance of many things in the story are not conveyed, but the downside is having read the book, the movie will feel a little skinny on the good stuff.

The reviews seem to like it whether they read the book or not, but nobody wants to give the movie any Oscars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I haven't read the books but I watched The Hunger Games today and enjoyed it. Felt like everything leading up to the games was significantly better than the games themselves though.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

I finally saw "Breakfast at Tiffany's". (And before any of you unmarried guys start ragging on me, you'll find out someday that you'll do a lot of things you never thought you would do when your wife wants you to do them with her.) Not much to report, but it was a fine movie. The acting was quite good and the characters were interesting, but the plot is relatively thin. But then again, the movie is really about the characters, anyway.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@ Alan It think that one is fun for the sake of its classic Hollywood star charms. Just a nice old movie with one of those plots that centers around the magic of having two classic film stars on screen. Certainly worth a watch, married or not!

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)

Saw "The Woman" today. Slow-burn horror flick. Not for squeamish people. Scary portrayal of frighteningly abusive men and what they do to women. A bit on the absurd side, but wow. It was intense!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Catch-22

More disturbing than funny, the film is well done and has some incredible shots of military planes. The film has an overall bright desert look and captures that baking-in-the-middle-of-nowhere feeling from the story and its pilots who keep getting sent on extended mission counts. It starts out with a depiction of the rough long service on in the base, but towards the latter half it starts to get very dark and disturbing, beginning to feel like Hell is a place on Earth.

I can see why it has become a cult hit since release and it is definitely worth a unique watch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Watched it on Blu-Ray (second time seeing it overall), which by the way has perhaps the best designed standard packaging for a Blu-Ray release that I have seen. There is no blue on the packaging, and in fact it is mostly blacks and silvers with little color.

You can see it unboxed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t743Bg-uTD8

I still really loved it and it looked gorgeous on Blu Ray. Fantastic movie and you should all buy it!

Where The Wild Things Are

Easily one of my favorite films visually, it chooses some unforgettable locations that are tied in well with the strangeness of the world. It is by no means a kids' or even family movie as it pulls some very frightening and dark ideas out. The Wild Things themselves are one of the most intriguing effects due to the mix of live-action costumes (created beautifully by Jim Henson's Creature Shop) worn by performers, voice acting from some greats, and CGI facial work to capture real emotions on the costume faces modeled after the emotion captures of the voice actors. It looks beautiful in so many scenes with sweet colors and sweeping vistas. Max fit right in as well, delivering on the expanded story created from the 10-sentence book that the film is based on.

The film feels like a pit of nostalgia and imagination that you might imagine in your depths as an adult looking back. I enjoyed the plot as well, which seemed to most importantly show that there are characteristics we all possess and needs we all wish can lead to a bit of happiness.

I'd say watch it if you like taking looks at the twists of the mind, great filmmaking, or can take a sweetly wild interpretation of the book that feels tailored to the adult in you that is curiously interested in the depths of childhood adventure and imagination.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFk7kYa_i0s&hd=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Watched 'Porco Rosso' this past weekend... you can't go wrong with a Miyazaki film. Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, they're all beautifully written and illustrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Martha Marcy May Marlene, interesting nonetheless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I just watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi a documentary about an 85 year old sushi master. The guy has been making sushi since he was 19 years old, and is constantly trying to improve. His two sons are worried about living up to his legacy when he can no longer work.

Great film, the camera work is excellent but not flashy. It is the best film I have seen for quite a while.