Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie You Saw...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)

Whoa, you just helped me put together a couple connections I wasn't previously aware of. First, I wasn't familiar with the Duplass Brothers, but looking them up, I did like Cyrus. So, now I'm even more intrigued in JWLaH. The secondary connection is that Mark Duplass (from The League) is one of said Duplass brothers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@lionelhutz, I saw "Take Shelter" and agree that it was one of the better movies of last year. Great acting, interesting story line, and nice "twist" ending (although maybe not a big twist). I would also recommend that one to anyone looking for a good movie to watch.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

Battle Royale (Blu-Ray with English subtitles) Whew! that was an intense movie. Kind of a 'Lord of the Flies' meets the 'Hunger Games'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just saw Hunger Games last night....highly recommend it, was a really good movie, one of the few that really captures the book it was based off of too

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

@kmarizo, that looks interesting. Have you ever seen Old Boy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLn1y9v6yno

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Old Boy is a messed up movie.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)

@Alan - Truth

I just watched Another Earth. Very cool movie. It's depressing as all get out through most of it, but has a really cool concept. And if the ending doesn't give you chills, you aren't human.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@Deke I really liked Another Earth. I saw it shortly after seeing The Tree of Life. I think both have some heavy impressionistic qualities. They are the kind of movies where your own perspective, perceptions, and spiritual interpretations decide whether or not the movie was a hit or miss (That is why I think some critics don't 'get' [as it seems 'get' is the buzzword on whether or not it was a good film or whether the filmmaking didn't make sense to create a good film] the Tree of Life. It just didn't stir personal response where those who liked it may have seen all the communication those seemingly pointless still moments in the narrative can hold.)

I think Another Earth has a very neat concept and it isn't really sci-fi, so don't see it for that. It is more of a statement about people and it asks some wonderful questions of us. I don't mean to type so much, but I just haven't encountered many people who saw it since it was a limited release!

"Within our lifetimes, we've marveled as biologists have managed to look at ever smaller and smaller things. And astronomers have looked further and further into the dark night sky, back in time and out in space. But maybe the most mysterious of all is neither the small nor the large: it's us, up close. Could we even recognize ourselves, and if we did, would we know ourselves? What would we say to ourselves? What would we learn from ourselves? What would we really like to see if we could stand outside ourselves and look at us?"

I would say at least watch the trailer, which is done well to convey the tone of the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8hEwMMDtFY

And, yes, the ending is fantastically chilling.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)

@Cannon

I'm pleasantly surprised to get someone's feedback on it. I knew it wasn't exactly a widespread movie, so it's nice to see I'm not the only one who has seen it. After your write-up I feel I owe Tree of Life a watch.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

@Pitt, if i didnt read the book, will i still be able to follow the movie? Hunger Games that is i am pretty impressed by the ads...On another note anyone else looking forward to the summer of movies...MIB 3, the avengers (i used to love comics), etc...Im gonna be eating alot of popcorn.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I