Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie You Saw...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)

50/50: Just watched it last night. It's a shame that it didn't get a single Oscar nomination. It's easily deserving in a few categories. It's somewhat of an emotional rollercoaster (from hilarity to heartbreak), but it never feels forced or manipulative, just honest and genuine. Warning: you'll probably want to call you mom and/or best friend afterwards.

Drive: I enjoyed it. It's definitely a bit slow in parts (it's not or everyone), but the style of the movie kept me gripped. If nothing else, the opening cat and mouse car chase scene was awesome.

Crazy, Stupid, Love: Surprisingly great. It's good enough to justify a watch without the girlfriend/wife/date, but if you're not motivated enough to watch it by yourself, definitely keep it in mind for sometime your lady says she wants to watch a "chick flick."

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Drive

A nice bit of retro homage styling and a spark of brutality, the film had me all the way through. Carey Mulligan and Ryan Gosling share few lines, but you can completely get the tone that their eyes set. It all has a satisfying excitement played into an artistically smart mood. It is fun by having so much look and feel right with glimpses of deep wrong dropping in to spoil the up and up that comes from Gosling's relationship with his neighbors.

I enjoyed it and it overall felt like a film that knows how to be effortlessly cool.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

@Cannon Check out this review if you haven't seen it: http://thehairpin.com/2011/10/drive-an-illustrated-response

Drive was my favorite film from last year. Love Ryan Gosling now.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@VespaMatt Great review. I think that she is pretty right when she wrote, 'like a less-campy Tarantino ?ick.' Definitely has that unique art, heavy with reference and homage, and twisted enough to be its own unique film.

Thanks for the link and glad you enjoyed it too.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)

Raiders of the Lost Ark. For the first time! Now I'm trying to make time for the sequels.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

I enjoyed the film very much for its 60s Hollywood charm. It has the lure of using some of the biggest stars of the era in a romanticized investigation and an engaging plot. Faye Dunaway is a longtime favorite of mine thanks to Chinatown and Bonnie & Clyde. Steve McQueen shows off one of his many performances that make him just so cool to watch. Definitely worth a watch and a great example of a classic movie.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

I don't think I saw a single movie released in 2011 until recently...first up, saw Drive. Engaging and stylish to be sure, but I thought it was kind of shallow as far as telling a compelling story, and overall not particularly memorable. Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned? Anywho, saw Moneyball not long after and I enjoyed it, but it felt a bit meandering and wasn't as satisfying as the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I cannot recommend "Take Shelter" highly enough. One of the most well-acted films I've ever seen. Anyone else seen it? I'd love to hear other people's interpretation of the ending.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Raining here in Chicago so the satellites out. Watching Drive for the first time. I know a lot of board members liked the wardrobes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Saw "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" last night.

It was surprisingly good. I'm a huge fan of the Duplass Brothers directing duo. They always churn out heart felt dramedies that make you laugh on second and then cry the next (and not in a chick flick way). Plus it has Jason Segel (bringing the funnies).

Basically a guy goes on an adventure and finds his place in the world. Bam.