Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie You Saw...

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Thanks y'all for reminding me to watch Snowpiercer. Also on my list are that new Keanu Reeves flick because I like dumb, mindless action entertainment and Interstellar.

Last watched is 'A Royal Affair' - definitely not a guy's night out movie but saw it at the recommendation of a friend and surprisingly really enjoyed it. Also, it has Mads Mikkelsen in it. Before that, I watched Croupier, which was a good noir film.

Most looking forward to: Furious 7, because 1. Screw Physics, 2. Jason Statham, and 3. My day job is too serious for most Oscar-grab movies.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)

The Last Movie You Saw...

Saw Nightcrawler last weekend. It was a great little thriller. Jake Gyllenhal(sp?) played the role of sociopath amazingly. I'm also a sucker for movies that largely take place in nighttime LA (Collateral, Drive, Heat, etc.)
    @LosRockets I've actually heard great things about John Wick. And I realized yesterday that Snowpiercer is on Netflix streaming, so that will definitely be watched in the near future.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Repentance: Enjoyed it. Starts out as a spiritual movie then turns into a bit of a horror/thriller. The last scene is weak, they could have done better, but the rest of the movie makes up for it. I would recommend it to others.

The Judge: Enjoyable. It's not what I thought it would be. Very little courtroom/lawyering and more about the relationship between the family members. The third brother was the gem of the movie. Give it a watch.

TMNT: A bastardization of another childhood classic.

Horns: Went into this one blind. Not what I was expecting. I thought it was some sort of a comedy but this was a murder mystery with some funny bits mixed in. It was an interesting concept and worth a watch if you want something different.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Saw Interstellar in 70mm IMAX last night, and it was fantastic. I was really glad I avoided reading anything about it or visiting the IMDB page beforehand. It had a few A list actors/actresses in it that were a complete surprise to me. It was also the first movie I've ever been to by myself, and it might be my new favorite way to see movies.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Fury: Glad I didn't pay money for this one. Tactics were horribly inaccurate and the weird, aggressive horseplay they do in the film was just awkward and looked funny. A few other scenes just make you scratch your head and wonder what the point of it is. You can skip this movie and not feel like you've missed out on anything. Spend your money elsewhere.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGL View Post
    Fury: Glad I didn't pay money for this one. Tactics were horribly inaccurate and the weird, aggressive horseplay they do in the film was just awkward and looked funny. A few other scenes just make you scratch your head and wonder what the point of it is. You can skip this movie and not feel like you've missed out on anything. Spend your money elsewhere.
    Surprised at this review. The trailer looked great. I was kinda looking forward to seeing this movie: WWII tank battles, small unit fire tactics, 'band of brothers' style comraderie, WWII battle uniforms, Brad Pitt's haircut... It all looked pretty good.

I guess I'll wait for it on iTunes...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCDR View Post
    Surprised at this review. The trailer looked great. I was kinda looking forward to seeing this movie: WWII tank battles, small unit fire tactics, 'band of brothers' style comraderie, WWII battle uniforms, Brad Pitt's haircut... It all looked pretty good.

I couldn't disagree more with @JGL. I loved it. The tension between the veterans and the new guys, the pain of death and war, the tank battles and special effects were all great. Acting was phenomenal. Both my wife and I loved it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCDR View Post

Perfect. Since there is a split opinion on this movie you can be a deciding vote.
    @bjmcgeever The final fight going from daylight to darkness in just a few minutes didn't bother you at all? The Germans had Panzerfaust from the very start! Makes no sense. I love my war movies but this one was just too much Hollywood and not enough plausible reality.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Saw Predestination about a week or so ago. Was pretty good. One of those surprise ending flicks about time warps/travel/loops. Ethan Hawke does a good job in it. Wish there was more to the ending but it was a decent flick.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGL View Post
    @bjmcgeever The final fight going from daylight to darkness in just a few minutes didn't bother you at all? The Germans had Panzerfaust from the very start! Makes no sense. I love my war movies but this one was just too much Hollywood and not enough plausible reality.
    TBH I didn't even consider it either of those things. Even in historical fictions, I try to suspend my notions of reality and just let the movie tell its story. Just my thing, I guess.