5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

University Professor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Surgeon. Meaning i wear adult clothes from home to work, scrubs all day, then clothes home.

90% of the time its gym wear since thats where i go after work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Finance in a very casual office. I usually wear slacks or chinos and a dress shirt Mon-Thurs. Fridays I wear Jeans and a OCBD. If cold, I add a cardigan or a v-neck sweater. Only wear a suit and tie when I have a business meeting with one of our banks.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

I'm a Senior Applications Developer (aka programmer) in charge of maintaining our company's six websites, numerous internal applications, and a lot of integration projects with clients and vendors (mostly vendors).

In some companies, software guys fall under the department they service. In others, it just falls under IT. In my case, it's the latter. As an IT member, I'm surrounded by a lot of guys that dress to the bare minimum of company policy (and often below it).

Just by previously showing up in a rolled-up, buttoned-down shirt and slacks, I was known as the most dressed up guy in the department - including managers. However, I do kind of stick out like a sore thumb since I've started wearing suits and ties to work. I've received daily comments about it - a few jokes, but mostly just people noticing. One guy calls me "the professor" because of my fondness for combining ties and sweaters... Whatever... This is a relatively new thing for me so I'm not surprised that people are caught off guard. Outside the IT department, though, our floor is mostly women, and they're all full of compliments.

I'm also currently in an MBA program. Everyone else in the program is overwhelmingly from the corporate world so there are a lot of suits and ties in there. It's more of a uniform for them, though. Not a lot of super snappy dressers, but they look good. I even haven't even been hitting that bar until recently, though. I go back to class today, having coming off of a one-month school vacation. I expecy my direct teammates will notice, but for everyone else it'll be business as usual.

So there you go - my typically long-winded reply to what should have been a simple question.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Side note: I just found out this morning that most of the other guys in my department actually own nice clothes (some have twice as many suits as me). They simply choose not to wear them... Ever... It's all a matter of personal choice so I don't suppose it matters one way or they other. I just found it interesting.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)

Currently a 2L law student. Looking to get a job as a public defender when I graduate. You'd think that dressing somewhat professionally would be the norm in law school, but for a lot of people that's not true. Most folks still dress like they're undergrads, even wearing sweats and flip-flops to class, except when they obviously have an interview and wear (and look completely uncomfortable in) their best, horrible interview suit.

I sure wish my fellow law students put more thought into their casual attire than they do. Especially since, out here in the Rocky Mountain West, most lawyers dress casually unless they're in court. My mom worked for one of the top firms in my hometown before she started her own practice, and the senior partners there wore Levi's and cowboy boots to the office every day, even to meet with clients. Of course, they mostly represented plaintiffs in civil suits so their clients were much more Joe Average and would probably be more intimidated than impressed by a fast-talking lawyer in a suit. One lesson I'm learning is that the practice of law is all theater, and costume is an important part of the performance.

Ben

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

@BenR:

My father-in-law is an attorney here in Dallas. He has his own practice and he's totally a one-man show. That being said, he always dresses well for work, even when all he's doing is going to his office that he shares with nobody. However, his office is in a building with a lot of powerful people that he encounters on a casual basis.

You never know who you're going to see so why not be prepared for everything? This is still Texas, though, so boots aren't COMPLETELY out of the question (especially for a court day in Fort Worth). :-) Once he was passing George W. Bush (who shares office space in the same building) in the parking garage, and the President complimented him on his clothes. So you just never know...

Side note: It's always seemed to me that dressing professionally gets a person into a mindset to work and act professionally. When I was an undergrad, I would sometimes dress up for major tests. It just helped me feel more prepared.

Second side note: When I'm on campus for class, I can always tell the full-time MBA's from the professional MBA's. The full-timers look like how you're describing your fellow law students.

Varsity Member nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I work in our family tree & landscape business, but my wife is the breadwinner.

Most of the time, I'm in outdoor work clothes, but I've had my work shirt tailored to reduce the sail factor. For whatever reason, uniform manufacturers are not on board with the tailored concept.

Here, I look pretty flamboyant wearing a grey fleece scarf, but I'll take it. Whenever I get to dress up, I get pretty excited. It's nice to change out of dirty clothes and look good.

Alan - I graduated with my MBA in '06. I got a small raise from my dad. I hope you get a bigger raise!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Molecular Biologist/Clinical Research Coordinator for a probiotic biotech company here in eastern PA. Shout out to Kibow Biotech!!

If anyone has any kidney problems or just needs probiotics for overall health check us out at kibow.com!!