Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what do you do for a living?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. So I was wondering what everyone did for a living that allows you the luxury of dressing nice. I graduated undergrad last May and luckily found a good job right out of school. I have been trying to upgrade my personal style but have been having trouble with my work attire. The thing is I work in the continuous improvement department of a steel manufacturer and my office is located inside a steel mill. The better I dress the more disconnected I feel from the union workers in the mill. It's also a tough environment to dress nice in because it can reach upper 90's in the summer but falls below freezing in the winter (there's also a lot of required safety gear I get to wear). I have been going with polo's for the summer and just button ups/oxfords here in the winter. But enough about me, what do all of you do for a living?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

I work with kindergarteners and 1st graders with special needs, autism specifically. I also have a hard time dressing very nicely at work just because my clothes get dirty. For work, except tie day Friday, the most I do is a sweater over a dress shirt with chinos. Today is jeans, a custom RL rugby, and chukkas. So usually pretty casual but I try to keep the items fitted and nice. I'm still known as the "dressed up" guy.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I work in the Financial Industry.

Wells Fargo specifically, Private Banking. I constantly see clients with 500k+ in investments. Its key to look sharp in a suit everyday. No one appreciates a slouch handling that kind of money for you.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

Journalist extraordinaire, here. I spend my days as the editor of an airline industry magazine, my nights freelancing about music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I work as an engineer in the automotive industry. Slowly trying to upgrade & update my wardrobe to help shed the 'engineers can't dress' stereotype, but in my line of work, i've seen some big style disasters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a mechanical drafter at an engineering firm. I recently graduated and was able to have this job waiting for me as soon as I got out. I usually wear a tie 2-3 times a week, along with chinos and a button up. If it's cool, then a v-neck sweater or cardigan. Today it's a J.Crew gingham button up, solid grey wool tie, olive chinos, and chocolate cap toe oxfords. I try to keep everything slim and fitted.

My office is rather casual, with everyone usually in polos and khakis. I've been here for about a month and already am the "well dressed" guy too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I'm currently the idle rich.

Without the rich part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Some good responses so far. It's interesting to see how diverse the community of the style conscious is, and how what your job is can affect what you wear on a daily basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I build software. I spent 10+ years doing the software engineering standard of jeans and looking sloppy until this summer when I finally decided to start dressing like a grownup. Now I wear ties most days, sportcoats half the time or so, and v-neck sweaters most days. Now I've got half the other guys in my office wearing ties everyday too

At some point you realize you're not being "different" by dressing like a teenager still... I'm much further from the norm now than I was then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IT/network engineer in downtown NYC here