Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Morning Routine? [First Time]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Well, this is my first time on the forum. Been reading -- and loving -- Dappered for quite some time now.

Ok. So, down to business. I'm interested in something a little different here and would love to hear some replies:

What is your morning routine? I *HATE* waking up early in the morning. To make things worse though, I can never seem to get into a good routine. I always feel horrible for quite sometime. Even the thought of drinking coffee -- which some people live off of -- in the morning makes me nauseous.

So I guess my question is, in the hopes that we can all learn some tips and tricks from each other, what is YOUR morning routine?

Thanks in advance, I suppose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a terrible morning person too, but here's as step by step as I can be. And this is all provided I have time to get through everything.

1. Turn off phone alarm (currently set to Common - Blue Sky) by completing a few kind of easy math problems.

2. Shower (lather, rinse, no repeat and shave in the shower if necessary; it usually isn't). I only use shampoo about twice a week but condition and wash my face every day. Once a week I'll mix in some baking soda in with my face wash to scrub off dead skin.

3. Get dressed and recite motivational speeches in the mirror. Sike.

4. Begin brewing coffee if I hadn't done so before showering. However, I've been known to spill so I usually don't put on my shirt until after I eat. If I don't have time for coffee, I just get some at the office.

5. Make breakfast, usually oatmeal with blueberries or eggs and some veggies - usually while watching Sportscenter or Mike & Mike.

6. Brush teeth.

7. Leave, hopefully in time, fully dressed and with all things necessary for work.

I think that's about right.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I am a total zombie in the morning like devirkahan. I don't have an appetite, energy, enthusiasm, patience, or care for anything besides sleep. I'm in college now, so shaving is done at night every couple days (too tired and slow in the morning to make it a daily routine).

I wake up via iPhone alarm.

Brush.

Cleanse face.

Get dressed.

Turn on computer if I haven't been too slow thus far.

Pack bag for class (10:30AM on MonWedFri, 1:30PM on TueThurs).

Browse computer and check Dappered

Eat some poor excuse for breakfast on occasion (goldfish, cookies, power bar, PopTart)

Stumble out the door.

I hate morning. I am pretty much one of those nocturnal guys. Stay up watching those late talk shows on TV and then move on to something from NetFlix while browsing on my computer. I even dislike the humidity of mornings (that strange wetness that accompanies the morning dew on the grass).

Mornings: blegh!

That said, I think I won't mind it when I am doing it for a career. I just can't stand it now because my schedule is already so lenient with me. I still would hate mornings though. Ron Swanson, I am not.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)

I'm also not a morning person. Here's my general routine -

Wake up with vibrating cellphone alarm. I've found that this doesn't raise my blood pressure nearly as much as a ringtone.

Roll out of bed and check e-mail.

Visit the loo.

Eat breakfast, something fairly quick and easy like cereal or peanut butter toast and a banana.

Wash face, wet hair, and brush teeth.

Get dressed and style hair.

Get my stuff together and head out.

I usually save coffee for the early afternoon (when I am the sleepiest) and I generally shower in the evening after I work out.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am usually a morning person

I normally wake up around 6 a.m. I stay in bed on my laptop till about 6:30 - 6:45am checking various emails, stock reports, work related website visits.

On to the water closet, while in there, I perform the morning's S.S.S. (granted I may skip whatever isn't necessary or needed)

I then take my dog for a walk or just put her in the backyard to eat breakfast while I gather up some food to take to work and scarf down a bar, cereal, waffles, with some fruit.

Next I'll turn on my apple TV, and stream some music within my house while the Wife and I start to get ready. This may consist of a quick Iron of a shirt, a shoe shine, or just a simple get dressed and get out!

I'm not a coffee drinker, rare occasions I'll have some, only if the Wife makes it. I wont go out of my way to make me some coffee.

Now there are some days where I wont make it to 6am, but rather will get up around 4am. At that point, I'll either surf the web for personal leisure, or get a head start in my office with personal business and side jobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I wake up to "Just Gimme Indie Rock" by Sebadoh.. on usually the 2nd or 3rd time it goes off with snoozes in between. Head down to eat some cereal and make some tea. I usually check email, dappered, dappered threads, etc. while eating, watching CNN / SportCenter, and drinking tea. Shower, shave, then try to figure out what to wear.... Stumble out of the house usually later than I'd planned and head to the office for the day.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I never was, and still am not a morning person, but I am getting better at it. Even though I hate waking up early, I have found that if you wake up 1/2 hour to an hour before you usually do, the extra time lets you relax, and have better mornings.

I use to rush and it sucked, now I can take my time doing things, and it's a lot less stressful.

Wake up

Press ON on coffee pot (prepared night before)

Drink coffee while slowly waking up, on computer browsing internet

After coffee and internet, morning situps/pushups (exercise in the morning helps wake you up for sure. for the first 2 weeks it will suck and you won't want to do it, but if you force yourself it becomes habit quickly. I'm not a big runner, but 50 pushups/situps takes 3 minutes, wakes you up, and keeps you in decent shape)

Shower/shave/bathroom etc.

Get Dressed

Make Breakfast

Eat while watching the last 20 min of sportscenter if I timed it right. Gotta get those top 10

Brush teeth

Leave to wherever I'm going.

That is my planned and ideal morning, sometimes things get left out or added if I screw it up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I usually mix it up, but it almost always involves a cup or two of white wine.

Seriously though, reading some of the stuff on here I have to be a morning person. It's not that bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

White wine in the morning...well that sounds positively un-American. But I wish it were.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

I usually wake up a few minutes before my alarm goes off, but I'll lay there for a good fifteen minutes after it goes off. I use that time to check my email and various websites on my phone. From there...

1.) roll out of bed and hug my dog (it's a real step)

2.) plug in the iron (contingent or what I'm wearing)

3.) shower

4.) iron a shirt (contingent or what I'm wearing)

5.) get dressed (putting on shoes BEFORE final tuck)

6.) teeth and hair

7.) out the door

I've been getting into the habit of deciding what I'm going to wear the night before. It helps for several reasons. One, you're fully awake when you make your decision. Two, it saves time in the morning. Three, it lets you wake up with a plan to get out the door.

I keep oatmeal, cereal bars, etc in my desk so I don't eat until I get to work. My routine USED to be donuts on the way to work, but I cut that as a new year's resolution. My company also supplies us with unlimited Keurig coffee so I also don't do that until I get in to work.

Our home gym is still a staging area for Christmas decorations that need to be put away, but once that's done, I'm going to try to start using the spin bike and the resistance bands I got for Christmas in the morning between steps 1 and 2.