Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So what do you do for a living?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

BenR, where do you go to school? I am a 1L in Colorado.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

@nicholascrawford:

Thanks! I have NO idea what I'll be doing when I graduate, but here's hoping for that raise. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am a Professor of Biology at a UC in southern California. Just moved out from the midwest about a year ago.

Varsity Member nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

CaliProf - We're looking to move to SFO for her tech business from here in Milwaukee as soon we can adopt our foster kid. My wife's there now with 65 degree weather, and I'm plowing and salting snow today. =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am a pricing analyst in the solid waste industry. I live and work in a suburb of San Diego called Chula Vista. Currently in the last semester of Texas A & M Online MBA program.

I am transitioning from an occasional preppy casual to a full time preppy casual. Think J Crew. I work in the trash business so blue and khaki chinos with OCBD abound. I try to spice it up a bit, today its Tan Bonobos Cords and a Chaps blue plaid shirt with Clarks Chukkas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@nicholascrawford - godspeed on the adoption. Kids and wife are 100% of the reason I wear button downs/sweaters/anything but gym wear. Since I'm a doctor spending 98% of the day in scrubs, my dress has no bearing on work and it really doesn't matter what I wear in the commute. But gotta look good for the fam!

@ Alan's comment with co-workers having nicer wardrobes but electing not to wear 'em: I bet part of it is the dry cleaner tab associated with dressing up when not required. I have ~20 fun fitted white button downs, but rarely wear them - after the 4th wash its to the cleaners for pressing/minimize collar stain. Suppose that's why the workwear trend, and also the "REI" dad look is popular among my colleagues who don't have to suit up for clinic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Figured I would chime in with what I do. I work for an engineering company in NJ. We do site/civil, geotechnical, and environmental. I guess our claim to fame is desingning the building foundations for MetLife Stadium (Giants and Jets stadium) and Prudential Center (NJ Devils).

This site has helped me transition from field work into my current office position (with the occassional field work). Now I look forward to wearing a tie once a week and looking shapr instead of dreading it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Full-time Student with split interest between Digital Media Game Development and Screenwriting/Playwriting/Creative Writing. Not sure which I will end up in. Either way, I am interested in entertainment creation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@BenR & Hardrain

I'm in law school, too! I'm a 3L in Virginia, and am looking forward to graduating, though finding a job will be difficult in this economy.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

@Weng:

The dry cleaning bill can't be completely ignored, but I think that more than anything it's just personal choice on my co-workers' part. They feel more comfortable not dressing up. For me, though, suits and ties don't feel stuffy any more. And slacks have ALWAYS been more comfortable than jeans since they're lighter and softer.

Yet people at my company go CRAZY with excitement when they're allowed to wear jeans. They actually have fund raisers where you can buy the right to wear jeans for a week for $10, and they get a LOT of participation. *shrug*