Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $1,500 Wardrobe

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

That's one of my favorite sayings, JC. Are you in project management?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

Thrift, Ebay, Marshalls. If you have the time, that will make your money go a long, long way.

Before I really knew what I was doing, I pieced together a Ludlow suit with ebayed pants and a sale jacket for about $350, I think. Of course, I wouldn't do that now, but that was then.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

I'm great about sales and have picked up thrifting, but I always seem to forget that Marshalls even exists. I have one right by the office, too. Might have to check it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Not in project management, but I've been building software a long time. Also, it's one of putthison.com's mantras about building a wardrobe.

Some guys on SF have been finding amazing stuff at Marshall's... Kiton & Marinella ties and one guy found an amazing Bruno Cuccinelli sportcoat for $69... They retail for like $3500.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

I'm in software, too. And I might have to stop by Marshalls on the way home. The shopping spree is winding down, but I still have a little bit left. :-)

And FWIW, now that I have the basics, I can afford to wait for something really worth it to come along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would personally skip the black shoes and black trousers and instead get a second pair of brown shoes (walnut, cognac, ect), one wingtip, one oxford, and a patterned trouser in grey (houndstooth, herringbone, windowpane, glenplaid). Throw a charcoal sportcoat in there as well and have interesting buttons (horn or mop) put on the navy suit so you can wear it as a jacket as well.

For the shirts, get a white spread collar buttonup, a white ocbd, light blue spread collar buttonup, white with blue checks spread collar, and maybe a light pink spread collor buttonup or a gingham of sorts (navy, purple).

Those should keep you solid for some time while you continue to build your wardrobe

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Go to TJ maxx and Marshall's in nicer areas. Higher income demographic areas. I found a ton of RLPL and black label cheap. 100% cashmere knit tie, button downs, RLPL suits but none in my size yet.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    The biggest determining factor is what you need out of your wardrobe. A casual guy working construction and an executive need very different wardrobes, so some background about yourself would help.

However, assuming you work in a business casual environment and want a versatile wardrobe for a young professional, here's what I'd buy with $1500.

- 1 Suit
    - 1 Blazer
    - 6 Dress Shirts
    - 2 Sweaters
    - 4 Pairs of Pants (1 pair of dark jeans, 3 pairs of wool pants in varying colors and weights)
    - 2 Pairs of Shoes (I'd recommend a dark brown captoe balmoral and a medium brown blucher)
    - 3 Ties (1 pin dot, 1 repp stripe, and one very dark Grenadine)
    - 2 Polos
    - 1 Pair of Khaki Shorts (assuming you wear them)
    - 6 Undershirts (assuming you wear them)
    - 6 Solid Color Tshirts (casual wear)
    - 6-8 Pairs of Boxer Briefs
    - 6-8 Pairs of Socks

You can easily make all of those happen with quality goods if you take your time searching big sales, TJ Maxx/Marshalls, and eBay.
    Last edited by wsupjs; December 15th, 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    God I need to trim my wardrobe after reading the last post.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent k View Post
    God I need to trim my wardrobe after reading the last post.
    Hah it's all good. I'm big on wardrobe minimalization, but it's not for everyone.

The template I listed above is the foundation I was shooting for when I started my consolidation. It's the bare minimum I think most people could reasonably get away with, but does limit some options. In the end, I added a few pieces to it (2 more suits, 2 more sweaters, 3-4 pairs of shoes, 5 Ties, and 2 Polos), but the idea is still there.