Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: y'all watching anything good on tv?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    A couple of new ones I'm enjoying:

The Following
    Legit

I'm happy Archer and Justified are back on TV.
    I forgot to mention The Following. I am really liking the show, even though it is getting a bit repetitive.

F1 starts in 3 weeks so I am siked for that.

We are cancelling cable in June. I am building a list of stuff to watch via Netflx/Amazon so far we have the following:

Mad Men
    Breaking Bad
    Downton Abbey
    Homeland
    House of Cards
    Can anyone suggest stuff worth catching on the streaming services?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff4 View Post
    The Americans on fx. I think the premise is great and think the show has a lot of promise.
    Finally watched the first ep yesterday (DVR'd). I really dug it! And I got my wife hooked too, which is somewhat rare. I usually watch twisted shows (*American Horror Story*, *Walking Dead*), fantasy/sci-fi-ish stuff (*BSG*, *Torchwood*, etc), certain period pieces (*Mad Men*, *Downton Abbey*), and other cool crap that she just doesn't really get into. But watching The Americans, she had a look in her eyes, similar to when I got her hooked on *Lost*. LOL

She mentioned that it was good, so it will probably get cancelled. That is often true, but it seems with FX, that some shows which might normally get canned on a more typical network, get longer lives, and more room to move on FX. What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bremersm View Post
    We are cancelling cable in June. I am building a list of stuff to watch via Netflx/Amazon so far we have the following:

Mad Men
    Breaking Bad
    Downton Abbey
    Homeland
    House of Cards
    Can anyone suggest stuff worth catching on the streaming services?
    I got totally sucked-in to *Mad Men* via Netflix. I think that was my first show obsession on Netflix. We use Roku boxes around our house, but we still have cable; just less services than before.

I also killed the 1st season of *Downton Abbey* via that route, and then the 2nd season via Hulu+, IIRC.

If you haven't already seen them all, I'd highly recommend a few comedies: *The Office* (both US and UK versions) and *That '70s Show* (I'm *still* getting caught up on the last couple seasons there), and if you're into creepy horror, the first series/season of *American Horror Story* is on Netflix now. Crazy stuff! I only watched the first couple eps when it first aired, but then got back into it with the 2nd series/season (*AHS: Asylum*). You may not like any of those, but they are great adds, IMO.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    (necro-mancing this thread)

Anyone watch True Detective? It's a cool show. Deep, suspenseful, and kinda creepy. Like a cross between The Killing and Twin Peaks. A little hint of Breaking Bad thrown in. Matthew McConaughay is superb in this. It's 7 episodes in the series so far. I still need to watch the last two episodes.

A good show to drink with.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCDR View Post

Anyone watch True Detective? It's a cool show. Deep, suspenseful, and kinda creepy. Like a cross between The Killing and Twin Peaks. A little hint of Breaking Bad thrown in. Matthew McConaughay is superb in this. It's 7 episodes in the series so far. I still need to watch the last two episodes.

I just finished EP 4 last weekend. I agree. It is pretty great so far. I have been watching that and Shameless lately. Both can easily hold my girlfriend's and my attention for 50 min.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Been watching Justified, as usual. I'm enjoying this season, but there's less of an over-arching conflict for Raylan.

Also watched the first two episodes of The Americans since they came on Amazon Prime. Really enjoyed it so far.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Anyone watch True Detective?
    Yep! Great show, looking forward to the finale this weekend. House of Cards was a great binge watch, if anyone needs a show.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)

YES

I love this show. Episode 4 (the one that ends in the projects) was the one that turned me form just liking it, to being one of my favorite shows. Can't wait for Sunday (although I'll be sad that this particular story line will be concluding).

Otherwise: Justified, Archer, The Americans, Community, Rick and Morty (maybe over for the season?), New Girl, Parks and Rec, The Following (realizing it's more of a guilty pleasure than a good show)

I think this summer I'm finally going to tackle Breaking Bad.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    I keep up with HIMYM (it's awful at this point, but I made too much of a commitment to not see it through), Parks and Recreation, Archer, Big Bang Theory, New Girl (a recent addition), and Arrow. And believe it or not, Arrow is probably among the best things on tv right now. The first season was fun, but overall just pretty good. The second season is fantastic though.

I watch, but haven't kept up with recently, Justified, Walking Dead, Bob's Burgers, and Downton Abbey. And Game of Thrones, but I read the (superior) books.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    I love this show. Episode 4 (the one that ends in the projects) was the one that turned me form just liking it, to being one of my favorite shows. Can't wait for Sunday (although I'll be sad that this particular story line will be concluding).
    I think this summer I'm finally going to tackle Breaking Bad.
    Agree! That was an amazing sequence at the end, the way they shot it in an almost continuous fashion, with the camera fixed on him through the ghetto houses and over the fence.

My understanding was that this was to be only a one-season show. Is it coming back next year?

You will definitely like Breaking Bad. Just stay with it for the first few episodes. It gets better with each season.

I watched most of the first season of The Americans but I wasn't too impressed. I thought it was average.