Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should my first article be on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Let me give some more background. The reason why they have asked me is because I wrote several letters to the editor about style mishaps. The notable ones are fanny packs and scarves with t-shirts. Now they want to give me a "try-out" for my own column. So I have already done a couple do's and don'ts.

However, do you guys think I should do another one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think the pics with blurred faces is what will really get a reaction. You want to get people talking. That is, if you are even allowed to use pics...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think the pics with no faces is a good idea but you don't want to come off as making fun of someone or changing their style. GQ for example does makeovers and a lot of the time they take someone just out of college with ill-fitting clothes and put them into a tailored suit. To me, that's too easy. I would try to get two pictures, one showing a style executed well, and one showing the same style executed poorly.

A positive spin on the above would be to only take one picture; focus on a student who executes a look really well, and do a commentary of what works, kind of like The Satorialist but IMO with more explanation/substance. Maybe invite that person to give their top style tip. This feeds the people who want to "see and be seen" while doing some sort of education and without reducing the column to a gossip /socialite mag. As you build your reputation/persona you can offer to help people with their style issues in exchange for writing an article (and maybe before/after pics) about them. That could lead to a companion blog (listed on your byline) and/or side business as a consultant depending on how far you want to take it.

This is all assuming that you can use pictures. If you're reduced to B&W line art or no graphics then it will get interesting.

What did the last columnist write about and does the paper have an expectation of you to write on the same topics?

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, the last columnist was a girl from Italy. She focused on girls fashion. She basically would pick one article of clothing and tell girls how they could pull it off/why they should wear it.

She used pictures, but they were "models", people she asked to model clothes for her. The paper does not expect me to write on the same topics.