Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charles Tyrwhitt - English dress shirts group buy.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Just an update: I received four shirts and two ties from Charles Tyrwhitt by placing two separate orders. The shirts fit reasonably well, and they're of a reasonably high quality. The ties are fantastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I received mine too.

The tailored fit is darted in the back. For me, it doesn't fit quite as slim as the Neiman Marcus Trim Fit (my best fitting shirt) but it does well enough. The fabric on the Selby Pink and Navy Puppytooth is a good weight. I wish CT would carry more colors / styles in the tailored fit. Agree on the tie; steal for $10.

For $40 I would say the shirts are worth but I wouldn't pay more for them.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

YackoYak,

I'm interested in purchasing the Neiman Marcus shirt, can you describe the fit or compare it to other trim/slim fit shirts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I also received my CT tailored fir shirt and loved it!

Ordered 3 more (1 for Dad and Brother in law for Christmas!)

$50 for a quality shirt AND tie is tough to beat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, don't mean to thread crap.

You can pick up the Neiman Marcus Trim Fit shirts on lastcall.com on sale for $30-35 ea (stack FAMILY and FSANN3 for 30% off + free shipping). Best shirt out there under $40 IMO. I don't have the Brooks Brothers Slim Fit or the Nordstrom Calibrate dress shirts so I can't compare it to those, but here's how the CT and Neiman Marcus Trim Fit compare among some random set of other shirts I have. All shirts 16.5 x 34/35 unless otherwise noted. My Measurements. I tried to center all shirts horizontally, and line up the tops of the sleeves and collars.

Bottom - Geoffrey Beene, Royal Blue (not fitted, for comparison)

Middle - Joseph & Feiss Fitted, Green Stripe (Men's Warehouse)

Top - Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored Fit French Cuff, Selby Pink and Navy Puppytooth (16.5 x 35)

Same as above, with Neiman Marcus Trim Fit, Purple Check on top

Bottom - Geoffrey Beene, Royal Blue (not fitted, for comparison)

Middle - Pronto Umo Fitted, Green Stripe (Men's Warehouse)

Top - CK City Fit, Aqua

Bottom - Alfani Fitted, Blue

Middle - Lands End Canvas Double Pocket Madras, Red Rich Plaid in Large (I know, Apples & Oranges)

Top - Neiman Marcus Trim Fit French Cuff, Gray Check

Observation/opinion:

+ Charles Tyrwhitt has the best fabric (of any shirt I have by far), worth $40. Wish they had more patterns in Tailored Fit.

- Joseph & Feiss has a fit and fabric similar to CT but low, baggy, and long sleeves. Not worth the $30-40 sale prices

- Calvin Klien has darted fronts but cheap fabric and it's way short. Not worth $25

- Alfani Fitted seems equal to Express quality. Fraying after 5 washes? WTH. Not worth $25.

+ Neiman Marcus Trim Fit fits me the best but the fabric is 2nd to CT. Worth $30 to me.

+ LEC sizing is all over the place but this one fits well. Cheap fabric but for <$20 it's OK.

- The sleeves on the standard fit Geoffrey Beene leave room for a second arm

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

You got the tailored fit in CT? I've gotten the slim fit before. It's not as slim as my BB slim fit but it's okay. I haven't tried out the NM ones yet. To be honest I find lots of shirts at the thrifts so I'm not sure I'll buy any new ones for the foreseeable future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I bought CT's slimmest 'Tailored' fit. Although that fit has darts in the back it fits a bit larger than the NM Trim Fit (which do not have darts). The quality overall on the NM is decent - higher end "department store" feel (depending on the pattern, some are rougher than others). Compared to the NM, the CT has thicker, heavier more luxurious fabric.

Correction on my earlier post (I wish we could edit posts without expiration dates): the CK shirt is 'Slim Fit' not "City Fit'.

I wish I could find shirts in thrift stores that fit me or I would go that route instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I've got a 16.5/36 BB OCBD in dark green gingham if you want it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Yacko, I think you sold me on the NM shirts. I'm going to order one and see if I like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I appreciate the thought Jason. A 35 is already a bit long for me (I think I'm 34.5), so 36 would be really pushing it.

Tex, I hope they work for you. I have the NM in gray check, tan check, purple check and blue window pane, and all four use different fabrics. At least the fit is very consistent.