Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The College Shoe Conundrum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Although I was always a preppy kid in terms of clothing, I still have love for the Jordans and AF1s. I've got a pair of Jordan 11s and T-Mac 2s for hitting the court. And I've still got some white on white AF1s for spring and summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As someone who lives just one state to the south of you I'd say you're well stocked for seasonal footwear. Make sure you get yourself at least one very warm winter coat. If you can get two I'd go for a wind and water resistant/proof version and then maybe a nice wool coat for when you want to bump up the style factor on days the white stuff isn't falling. If one is in the budget I'd go for the wind+waterproof option. Gloves are important too. Insulated leather for style and waterproof nylon for cleaning off your car (if you have one here) and shoveling if that's something you may have to do. If you live on campus that may not be much of a concern.

Don't worry too much about the snow. There will be a bunch of it at times but this region of the country is often ready and well prepared for the storms. While snow really isn't constant all winter the low temperatures are usually here to stay once it arrives. There will be days when just a couple of minutes of skin exposure to the outdoors can be dangerous for some. Just keep in mind that comfort and safety will be far more important than style on those days. There's nothing wrong with looking good while bundled up, and it's possible, but don't choose looks over warmth on those very bad days.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

- Good call on the shoe trees, I put them in my dress shoes AND casual shoes after every use.... religiously. If you have a G.H. Bass & Co. outlet store in your area, they sometimes have two pairs of shoe trees for $20.00! I like the cedar trees, they help soak up moisture/odor. Every once-n-while you'll want to use a light sand paper to liven them back-up. (care for shoe trees might sound ridiculous but once you eventually step up to Allen Edmonds, etc... you will want to protect your investment).

- It's a good idea to use a shoe horn when slipping into your dress shoes, allowing you to put on your shoes more easily. It keeps the the shoe open by providing a smooth surface for the foot and the heel to move, without crushing the shoe's counter (the vertical portion of the shoe that wraps around the back of the foot). Ever see a pair of shoes where the counter looks all wrinkled! At home, I will use a heavy-gauge Metal shoe horn and when I travel, I will throw in my leather shoe horn in my duffel bag or luggage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think I'm fairly well prepared for the cold, I picked up the J Crew wool peacoat with thinsulate inside, and I already have a wind/water proof coat for the rest of the days. I grabbed some leather insulated gloves, and since I don't have a car I don't think I'll be needing another pair. I just need to get a cheap scarf, any recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

For scarves I'd look at Sierra Trading Post. They've got great deals on wool and cashmere scarves. Sign up for their deal flyer emails to get sale info. Joe had a deal up for STP last week and I got a Scottish wool plaid scarf for $12 + $5 shipping

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)

I second the Sierra Trading Post recommendation. Picked up a cashmere/wool blend scarf for $20 with a discount code a couple weeks ago.

They don't have as much in stock now but they've still got a few good wool options.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Third the STP. Great scarf for $17, super soft.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi all, I'm back again. My girlfriend's picking me up a scarf for Christmas but I pointed her in the direction of Sierra Trading Post and she has good style, so I'm sure she'll pick something nice out. Basically, I'm reviving this thread because I'm really tempted by the Cognac Timberland 6" Zip Boots for $130 after promotions: http://www.dsw.com/dsw_shoes/catalog/product.jsp?fromPage=shoppingBag&category=cat20303 &brand=cat20303&prodId=243241&no_redirect=1&skuId= 58000000002432412300000M009.0&productRef&qty=1&ite m=ci7979030381&fb_source=message

However, after looking at my shoe collection so far (see original post), I'm not sure when exactly I'd wear them. Would I just rotate them in with the other 3 pairs of boots? Any pointers and advice on getting them/not getting them would be very much appreciated, especially before midnight.

-Matt

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

haha, you're as addicted as the rest of us. Personally, I'm not one to dissuade people from buying shoes. You would have some overlap with the hawleys I suppose, but in the end it's up to you. I'd wear suede when it's dry out, hawleys when it's wet out, and LE moc's when it's dressier out. I suppose the Tims come somewhere in between the clarks and the hawleys, but it's your call whether you add them, or save your $130 to spend on something else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

believe me, I know I'm addicted haha. Speaking of it being wet out with the hawleys, any suggestions for waterproofing them? And yeah I suppose you're right, theres a lot of things I'd like at the moment but shoes are a particular weakness of mine.