Thread: Help with button position on Bonobos black watch "Great Scot" blazer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Picked up the Bonobos blackwatch blazer. I like it a lot except for the high buttons. I was thinking I could still wear it except only button the bottom one? I realize this goes against convention rules, but it looks normal to me with the bottom one buttoned. I've tried to take pictures, but it was with my computer's webcam. The quality is so bad that it probably won't help at all.

Top button

Bottom button

I'm also weary of the length. It covers my butt easily, but it doesn't quite pass the "curled fingers" test.

Thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

jose, when will you wear a black blazer? In general, you should never wear a black blazer or a black suit. Black suits are for funerals, service staff, or musicians. Black blazers..are just strange. They don't pair with anything.

Concerning the fit of the suit: it's actually not that bad. The sides need a bit of taking in, it's slightly too short, and the sleeves look a tiny bit too long. The button stance on this jacket is high and you'll have to reconcile yourself to that look if you plan on keeping the blazer. Please, please don't button the bottom button and leave the top button unbuttoned.

My advice would be to find a blazer in a different color. The fit is actually flattering to you, so you may want to stick with Bonobos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's Black Watch tartan if the name is any indication. Black, blue and dark green--it's just a dark picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Agree on the sleeves being a bit too long, and the sides can use some taking in. Regarding the button stance: button only the top, or middle (if it has one). Rarely do I see all buttons, and I have never really bottom button only.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Yes, sorry, this jacket here: http://www.bonobos.com/great-scot.

Crappy quality makes it look black. I had no idea about black watch until right before buying the blazer (and apparently there is a lot of history), but it's plaid with navy blue, green, and a little black. Looks like a solid color from a distance or in poor lighting.

My problem with the top button is it seems like I'm buttoning below my pecs and not above my waist, which is what I'm used to. Buttoning the top button shortens the blazer even more.

How much should I shorten the sleeves? Where should blazer sleeves hit?

Thanks for all the feedback. I give each of you one dap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm tempted to say to return it, if only as a protest against blazers-cum-bibs. Bonobos' high button stances are just ridiculous.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Jose, I take it all back - that looks fine on the Bonobos website. The button stance is high and that's just the nature of the cut of that jacket. The rest looks good on you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Yeah, not a fan of the high button stance or short jacket. I think this will look dated in a few years. The fabric is cool though.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

I agree with both JC and Bruschetta. It looks pretty nice but I'm not as huge in higher button stance. It's not a big deal, though, and it is up to your taste. Sweet fabric. The sleeves need to come up a bit, ideally so you're showing 1/4" of shirt cuff.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano