Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hair product

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Getting kinda tired of my current hair stuff. I've been using the Axe messy look hair paste for about a year now and I think I'm just ready for something different. I have dark, really thick wavy hair that I usually side part. I need something that has pretty good hold without goin full Don Draper. I'm wondering what you guys use. I'd like to try and find something under $10 and pretty easy to track down. Any ideas?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

This guy has wavy hair and usually parts it. Does a bunch of hair videos about products he uses for different looks. There are a bunch of ways he does the look, plus some variations and other looks. Searching "hair" on his channel gets many of the videos he's done on it, but browse through for a full set of info on products themselves too.

His name is Jim Chapman:

http://www.youtube.com/user/j1mmyb0bba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

With hair product you usually get what you pay for, within reason. Stuff like Axe, Garnier, etc, is usually junk. Try the Crew line of products. They are more expensive but last longer in the end and once you find the right line you can do Amazon.com subscribe and save and that will get it under $10. Based on how you are describing your hair, their forming cream might be what you are looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I use the Crew forming cream. It's around $16 at the grocery store and I usually just get it there. Lasts me probably 4 months; a little goes a long way. I have medium-light hair and it's about halfway between wavy and curly. It's strong enough to tame my hair into a brushed-back look about 2.5 inches tall. Has a matte look and holds pretty well throughout the day. You sound relatively similar and might want to give it a try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alternatively, try Murray's Superior Hair Dressing Pomade. It's about $2 at the drug store. You have to be VERY cautious about how much you use because you'll probably need to wash your hair for a week to get it all out. That said, if you get it right, it does a decent job.

I used to have a collection of different pomades. If you're single, try got2b's pheromone pomade. (It doesn't work/maybe I'm just that off-putting.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the replies Gents. I'm running to target today so I'll hunt for some of the products mentioned. Gonna hunt for that forming cream first.

@Cannon: Thanks for the vids, they were pretty helpful.

@MagM: looks like I can probably find this pomade at walgreens for cvs. And it sounds like its a "little goes a long way" kinda product. What method would you suggest for using it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry if it's too late but what I found that works great is Murray's Super Light pomade. It smells great doesn't make your hair too greasy and looks really natural. Best part is it's only 2.30 Also I use to be in your shoes. I used axe messy for every till I switched too this for my thick hair. It helps thin it out and break it up. You should be able to pick it up at any drug store

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I use American Crew Fiber. I have asian hair (thin and straight), about 1.5-2 inches at the longest. Works pretty well, holds the whole day, i only use about a size of a nickel in my palm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The american crew products seem amazing but my budget doesn't really allow for $20 hair products at the moment. I think I'm gonna try the Murrays super light suggest by Beefcake, can't beat that price.

On a side note, my local grocery carries a brand called Trendstarter that is like a cheaper alternative to American Crew, wondering if anyone has experience with this stuff?

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2038 Post(s)

If you go to Target, you'll find a brand called Matrix Men next to the American Crew stuff. It's fairly comparable and as I recall it was something like $7 for a tin of style wax.

Ben