Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sitting at the bar when you don't drink?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So, I'm a non-drinker (family history, personal choice, etc...) but I like to sit at the bar of restaurants sometimes. Usually I do this so I can watch a game or beat a wait, but in general I just sort of enjoy sitting there. My question is, since I don't drink alcohol should I just avoid the bar area, or should I just be friendly and tip well on what I do order?

I'm really just looking for some advice on this subject that always makes me feel a little uncomfortable because I feel like I'm imposing on some sort of members only area. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Order a coke or a water... Nobody but the bartender needs to know what is or isn't in it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Agree with Jason. @jtrandall, if you're concerned about the amount to tip, I would also base that off how much time you're there and how much attention you get from the bartender. IE, if you're there a long time (a whole game) and go through a few refills, I would probably give the guy $5 on a $2.5 coke.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Order a Sprite and tell the bartender to throw a lime wedge in there oh yea, put a small black straw in it.

Your all good with that! Looks can be deceiving or they can be comforting.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

agreed with above, it doesn't really matter. if you order anything to eat or drink, you can sit there, and nobody can tell the difference between a coke or a jack and coke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't worry about it. To be honest, if I'm at a bar, my last concern is what the guy next to me is drinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are many reasons to be at a bar, and not all of them include alcohol, shall we say.

Request club soda. Receive for free. Tip. Depending on the establishment $1-2 for each fill, or $5-10+ for a night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You shouldn't worry about the people around you.

You should be mindful that while you're sitting at the bar drinking your $2 coke, that your occupying a spot that could have been filled with a person buying a $6 or $7 alcoholic drink. And that person buying a $6 or $7 alcoholic drink will more than likely be consuming them at a greater rate than you.

Just be aware of how crowded the bar is and tip the waiter accordingly.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I agree with people above, there are plenty of people looking to drink something besides alcohol that are going to end up in a bar, and the bar still wants that business. No one else will know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nothing wrong with going to a bar/restaurant and not getting -OH (alcohol for all you non-science nerds). Just be sure you get SOMETHING. Owners and bartenders wouldn't appreciate it at all if you sat there for hours and didn't get anything. Wings, fries, chicken sandwich... with a water.

No one's going to care.