Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxford Shoes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Oxford Shoes

What do you guys think of oxfords?

I do not have a black pair of oxfords. I work in a business casual office, and we occasionally wear suits. I found a couple of toe cap oxfords one black and one dark brown on ebay, that are good year welted and are brand new. I can get them for a very good price, but I find oxfords really boring looking, especially black ones.

What does everyone hear think of toe cap oxfords as far as styling goes.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1030 Post(s)
    I haven't worn mine in a couple years. Not needed in black.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    I don't own a plain cap toe Oxford. I do have AE Strands--which are awesome because lots of broguing. I also, personally, don't get to hung up on the oxford/derby distinction.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    Much more of a loafer guy.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)
    I prefer the look of an oxford over a derby, I think. And I prefer brogue over plain or cap-toe. That said, my black AE Park Avenue cap toe shoes are my go-to for court.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    I wear them all the time for business, most certainly including black. For business casual/sometimes with a suit, I'd suggest a brown Strand.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    Oxford is a broad category of shoes, akin to asking what we think about running shoes.

As such, oxfords can run from the plainest of balmorals, suitable for white/black tie, to heavily decorated full-brogue longwing bluchers, appropriate for business casual and even jeans.

I prefer a sleeker design so, while I own a full-brogue cap toe balmoral, the majority of my dress oxfords are plain toes or plain toes with a perforated medallion such as the AE Vernon and Cornwallis.

Plain doesn't have to mean boring. Decoration such as broguing or perfing can give the eye something to notice, but if the shape of the shoe is attractive enough it will stand on its own. Think Jaguar E-Type or a Coco Chanel little black dress. More would be less.

That said, the stubby toe caps on the AE Fifth Avenue throw the proportions off, and most cheaper dress shoes have a bulbous shape that is best hidden behind broguing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    311 Post(s)
    In general, a boring suit-and-tie goes better with a pair of boring oxfords than fun, loud bluchers.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    Oxford is a broad category of shoes, akin to asking what we think about running shoes.

As such, oxfords can run from the plainest of balmorals, suitable for white/black tie, to heavily decorated full-brogue longwing bluchers, appropriate for business casual and even jeans.
    And even sneakers.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/s...r/SF70180.html
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I do not understand how they can call that an oxford. It sure as hell wouldn't qualify under the eponymous Oxford school dress code.