Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suit Belt Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Suit Belt Question

So recently Iíve been seeing a lot of opinion/advice that you should go beltless with a suit (as long as the waist fits obviously). But Iíve also seen the rule...if it has loops it needs a belt. Seems like almost all of the suits Iíve seen come with loops, and all of the ones I own do. So what do you guys do? I see the options as, ignore one rule or the other, or take the suit to a tailor to have the loops removed. Then make sure you donít lose any weight. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    611 Post(s)
    I haven't seen any advice that says not to wear a belt with a suit. I suppose if I didn't want to wear a belt, I'd have the loops taken off. But my weight fluctuates enough that I like the flexibility a belt provides.

My suit from Suit Supply doesn't have belt loops, but it has adjustable straps or tabs.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)
    It's not necessary to wear a belt. At least, I don't think so.

Who notices that, you?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    The SuitSupply sales folks have pretty consistently told me not to wear a belt with their suits (although I'm generally still pro-belt).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    i have heard that a few times but i honestly dont think i agree with it. If it has loops im wearing a belt. Maybe im crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Hereís just one example, but there are many that echo this one:

https://www.bespokepost.com/the-post...lt-with-a-suit

I didnít realize this was a thing until recently either. But now I do notice it. I agree ianr, probably one of those things that might be too small a detail to really worry about. Iíve always worn a belt, not realizing I was a heathen!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CK83 View Post
    Hereís just one example, but there are many that echo this one:

https://www.bespokepost.com/the-post...lt-with-a-suit

I didnít realize this was a thing until recently either. But now I do notice it. I agree ianr, probably one of those things that might be too small a detail to really worry about. Iíve always worn a belt, not realizing I was a heathen!
    Their second bullet point under why you shouldnít wear a belt made me laugh.

ďIf your pants are more than a little loose, a cinched belt will bunch up the fabric of the waistband. That looks sloppy, and can damage the wool.Ē

Maybe Iím crazy, but if your pants are loose you should definitely be wearing a belt. And if they are really loose you probably shouldnít be wearing them at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abh159 View Post
    Their second bullet point under why you shouldnít wear a belt made me laugh.

ďIf your pants are more than a little loose, a cinched belt will bunch up the fabric of the waistband. That looks sloppy, and can damage the wool.Ē

Maybe Iím crazy, but if your pants are loose you should definitely be wearing a belt. And if they are really loose you probably shouldnít be wearing them at all.
    Right?! Yeah Iíd have to think it beats the alternative of having your pants fall down all night.
    Last edited by CK83; January 18th, 2020 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Hit submit too early

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    From the list:

"Belt loops without a belt can look odd"

Ya think?

And the concern that a belt will "damage the wool" is silly.

Belt versus no belt wasn't an issue until recently with short jackets and spread quarters that don't cover your belt area.

I do agree that if your belt area is exposed it's a trendier/sleeker look not to wear a belt.

But in general, if you've got loops, I'd say wear a belt. If you've got tabs, then just use your tabs.

The real question is loops versus tabs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    This advice is a just recent trendy fad. Like all fads it will fade and it is not to be taken seriously. Furthermore, if youíre wearing a suit in a professional environment you need to wear a belt.