Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite slim fit or MTM shirts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

Favorite slim fit or MTM shirts?

I need some advice on shirts. I have a really hard time finding shirts that fit well. Either the body is too baggy or the sleeves are too short (for reference, I'm 6'3", 185lbs, and ~33 waist). I like my shirts quite slim fit, more so than shops like J Crew and Banana Republic make theirs.

If I'm looking to spend somewhere between $80 to $125 per shirt, would you go for a decent off the rack shirt or a made to measure shirt? In either case, any brand recommendations?

Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I feel your pain. I am 5'10", 165 pounds with a 42" chest and a 31" waist. Off the rack shirts don't work well on me. Most of the medium shirts fit ok in the chest but they have way too much fabric around the waist. The off the rack shirts that fit the best are J.Crew medium slim fit shirts. The Banana Republic slim fit shirts are ok, but not as good as they are just a bit larger around the mid section. I love Bonobos but their shirts tend to bit a bit inconsistent in the sizing. I have ordered a couple of MTM shirts from https://woodiesclothing.com/. The shirts turned out well, but you do need to have some patience while they get the fit right. The good thing is that once they've got it correct, you can then order anything on their website and it will be made to you individual measurements. I have bought a few shirts from Grand Frank. Those fit me really well, but they are definitely european sized so you need to be careful. I like a very trim fitted shirt and theirs work really well on me.

I also have a difficult time with sweaters. I love crew neck sweaters, but most mediums are way too big on me while the smalls are too tight. I have bought a number of sweaters from John Henric as theirs fit me perfectly. Again, they are a european company and are sized as such. Their mediums fit my body perfectly ... just big enough in the chest and trim throughout the body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Carrying on from smitty's recommendation, I've used bivolino.com and https://tailorstore.co.uk/ in the past. I'd probably recommend https://tailorstore.co.uk/ because their user experience on the site is better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Albeit slightly smaller (39-40 chest, 30-31 waist, 5'-9") I have the same problem and, while I'm not thrilled with the shirts, I have a few Charles Tyrwhitt that fit "ok" and come in at a lower price point on sale. I don't love their shirts, though, and am thinking that the Woodie's option is the better way to go.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    With that budget and issues you have, I'd try MTM.

I got my MTM shirts from a local tailor. The work is outsourced to hongkong. The shirt starts from $60 but I've ordered plenty of $100s shirts.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jikaasik View Post
    I need some advice on shirts. I have a really hard time finding shirts that fit well. Either the body is too baggy or the sleeves are too short (for reference, I'm 6'3", 185lbs, and ~33 waist). I like my shirts quite slim fit, more so than shops like J Crew and Banana Republic make theirs.

If I'm looking to spend somewhere between $80 to $125 per shirt, would you go for a decent off the rack shirt or a made to measure shirt? In either case, any brand recommendations?

Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Ledbury slim fit should work for you. I'm 6' 2", about a 36 inch waist, 42 inch chest, 195 pounds, and for most shirt makers, slim fit 16 neck with 35 sleeves works for me.

But NOT Ledbury--slim fit is snug around the waist for me--wearable, but too snug--so, should be just right for you.

I had to go with classic or whatever they call it. And that did not have too much fabric, unlike most shirt makers' classic fit.

And BTW--wow--they are freaking great shirts. I think when they have a sale they are in your price range as well.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    189 Post(s)
    4 Brooks Milano for $199 and then have them tailored if necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    I feel your pain. I am 5'10", 165 pounds with a 42" chest and a 31" waist. Off the rack shirts don't work well on me. Most of the medium shirts fit ok in the chest but they have way too much fabric around the waist. The off the rack shirts that fit the best are J.Crew medium slim fit shirts. The Banana Republic slim fit shirts are ok, but not as good as they are just a bit larger around the mid section. I love Bonobos but their shirts tend to bit a bit inconsistent in the sizing. I have ordered a couple of MTM shirts from https://woodiesclothing.com/. The shirts turned out well, but you do need to have some patience while they get the fit right. The good thing is that once they've got it correct, you can then order anything on their website and it will be made to you individual measurements. I have bought a few shirts from Grand Frank. Those fit me really well, but they are definitely european sized so you need to be careful. I like a very trim fitted shirt and theirs work really well on me.

I also have a difficult time with sweaters. I love crew neck sweaters, but most mediums are way too big on me while the smalls are too tight. I have bought a number of sweaters from John Henric as theirs fit me perfectly. Again, they are a european company and are sized as such. Their mediums fit my body perfectly ... just big enough in the chest and trim throughout the body.
    Thanks for such a thorough response! I might have to try Woodies out. I've thought about doing Suitsupply's MTM, cause I know the fabrics, but it seems a bit overpriced. How are Bonobos shirts' in terms of fabric quality?

Quote Originally Posted by gerardflynn View Post
    Carrying on from smitty's recommendation, I've used bivolino.com and https://tailorstore.co.uk/ in the past. I'd probably recommend https://tailorstore.co.uk/ because their user experience on the site is better.
    Thanks! I'll have a look at those!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Albeit slightly smaller (39-40 chest, 30-31 waist, 5'-9") I have the same problem and, while I'm not thrilled with the shirts, I have a few Charles Tyrwhitt that fit "ok" and come in at a lower price point on sale. I don't love their shirts, though, and am thinking that the Woodie's option is the better way to go.
    Yeah, I tried CT once and really wasn't happy with the fabric. Construction quality was actually really great, but I felt like the shirts were a bit too scratchy, not to mention I would have had to tailor basically everything :/

Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    With that budget and issues you have, I'd try MTM.

I got my MTM shirts from a local tailor. The work is outsourced to hongkong. The shirt starts from $60 but I've ordered plenty of $100s shirts.
    That's probably my ideal! I just moved to a new area and haven't really found a good tailor yet, but this is definitely the long-term goal.

Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Ledbury slim fit should work for you. I'm 6' 2", about a 36 inch waist, 42 inch chest, 195 pounds, and for most shirt makers, slim fit 16 neck with 35 sleeves works for me.

But NOT Ledbury--slim fit is snug around the waist for me--wearable, but too snug--so, should be just right for you.

I had to go with classic or whatever they call it. And that did not have too much fabric, unlike most shirt makers' classic fit.

And BTW--wow--they are freaking great shirts. I think when they have a sale they are in your price range as well.
    Interesting. I've heard a good deal about Ledbury but haven't tried them yet. Maybe I'll try one out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    Also something I considered! Have you tried their Soho fit, by any chance?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    I've done this as well with good results.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    402 Post(s)
    I remember when Joe on the mainsite recommended tailoring all shirts, but he hasn't recommended it in a while, and it is rarely recommended on the forum. I wonder why.